Like Tree44Likes

No need for separate HKID appointment after Verification of Eligibility for PR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No need for separate HKID appointment after Verification of Eligibility for PR

Hello all, I wanted to post an update after getting my Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card (VEPIC) earlier this week. When I was on the 25/F of the Wan Chai immigration building (Right of Abode office) for the “interview” (I.e. show passport + ID and receive VEPIC paper), the officer offered me a piece of paper with that day’s date stamped on it, which I could take to the 8/F immediately afterwards to apply for the actual ID card. So it seems that the 8/F does have some same-day quotas reserved for the new PRs at least.

I read on this forum ~2 months ago that you need a separate appointment for the actual card even after VEPIC. Since the appointments were hard to get (they were often booked solid for 95 working days, and you might have to book an appointment 96 working days away—note that the booking situation is a lot better now), I emailed the Immigration Department and they responded that I would need a separate appointment. So I booked one. But it seems that the Immigration Department has improved the process.

I’m amazed by the efficiency of the whole process. It takes <1 month from the day I reached the 7-year mark (last week) for me to receive the PR card and HK passport (applied for both earlier this week; have yet to receive them). In some southern European countries it could easily take me two years of bureaucratic hell. Also, rules are super clear, so minimal paperwork and no need to pay some rent seeking consultant.

shri, emx, Mrs. Jones and 6 others like this.

But it seems that the Immigration Department has improved the process.
    This was the case recently in 2019ish in a case with a relative. Covid messed a few things up.

Welcome to the govt welfare club.
    Last edited by shri; 19-10-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Indeed! It makes so much sense not having to stress about two separate appointments.

Local pastries all day to celebrate

shri, Mrs. Jones and rkenia852 like this.

Congrats! You got a HK passport at the same time? Thats not normally a part of the PR process is it?

Limoncello likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Congrats! You got a HK passport at the same time? Thats not normally a part of the PR process is it?
    “I’m amazed by the efficiency of the whole process. It takes <1 month from the day I reached the 7-year mark ”

I think he is a foreigner with ROA in hk now, not a Chinese national
    shri and dossier like this.

It has been like this for as long as i can remember, same day for VEPIC+HKID or HKSAR PP + New *** HKID, it just got screwed up a bit during covid due to alll expired HKID pending for renewal overload thing.. Even then it was possible with slight nudge and persistence by giving medical reasons etc.. As always, HK ImmD one of the best in the world..

I applied online and got approved without an interview. So I did have to make a separate appointment to get my new ID card.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoncello:
    Hello all, I wanted to post an update after getting my Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card (VEPIC) earlier this week. When I was on the 25/F of the Wan Chai immigration building (Right of Abode office) for the “interview” (I.e. show passport + ID and receive VEPIC paper), the officer offered me a piece of paper with that day’s date stamped on it, which I could take to the 8/F immediately afterwards to apply for the actual ID card. So it seems that the 8/F does have some same-day quotas reserved for the new PRs at least.

I read on this forum ~2 months ago that you need a separate appointment for the actual card even after VEPIC. Since the appointments were hard to get (they were often booked solid for 95 working days, and you might have to book an appointment 96 working days away—note that the booking situation is a lot better now), I emailed the Immigration Department and they responded that I would need a separate appointment. So I booked one. But it seems that the Immigration Department has improved the process.

I’m amazed by the efficiency of the whole process. It takes <1 month from the day I reached the 7-year mark (last week) for me to receive the PR card and HK passport (applied for both earlier this week; have yet to receive them). In some southern European countries it could easily take me two years of bureaucratic hell. Also, rules are super clear, so minimal paperwork and no need to pay some rent seeking consultant.

I'm confused. How can you apply for a passport already? What about having to renounce your current citizenship and naturalizing as a Chinese national first?
    BritishRose and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    I'm confused. How can you apply for a passport already? What about having to renounce your current citizenship and naturalizing as a Chinese national first?
    You renounce on approved eligibility, once your consulate lets immd know you have renounced you become a citizen and can apply for a passport.

I really don't know if you need to be a PR to apply.. I would think so.
    Last edited by shri; 19-10-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    I am a Chinese citizen (currently holding a mainland passport) and my PRID has ***, so I don’t need to renounce.

Once I applied for the PRID, they gave me a “ROP140”, i.e. temporary paper ID on the spot (the one with photo printed on, that you use to collect the actual card in ~10 working days). With this, I can apply for passport online—I just need to collect the PRID card first before collecting the passport itself. My understanding is that the two are produced in parallel.

Of course, if you need to renounce your current citizenship, things are probably more complicated.
    Last edited by Limoncello; 19-10-2023 at 03:04 PM.
    shri, bdw, BritishRose and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast