Like Tree48Likes

Child Born in Hong Kong, Both Parents Canadian

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    https://torontolife.com/city/this-la...enship-policy/

Looks like there is already a case like this and they took it to the court to challenge the law. Baby born in HK to Canadian parents born abroad.

"Our son was only able to fly because Hong Kong happens to have a special passport for people who are stateless—not many places do—and we could afford to hire a lawyer who helped fast-track a visitor’s visa for him. Our plan was to apply for permanent residency on arrival."
    This is interesting. Similar to the UK's law, except for the key difference which is that if the baby would otherwise be stateless, they get the British citizenship too. I think the other difference in the UK is that if the overseas born parent has lived in the UK for a certain period, they can also upgrade their citizenship from by descent to full citizenship (I think). I have a friend in HK who had to do this in order for her children to get British passports.
    Last edited by Beanieskis; 16-01-2024 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjk10001:
    I am not of Chinese descent. My wife is, but the only ID of ours that was shown was our HK ID cards. So they had no proof or real idea if either of us were really of Chinese descent....and they were not bothered about checking.
    So at the end of the day it came down to the lady behind the counter thinking i 'looked Chinese enough'.
    You showed your wife's ID. Presumably your wife was born in China and has a Chinese name. Both of which would be shown on her HKID so it would be obvious that she is of Chinese descent. Even if she doesn't have a Chinese name on her HKID, the fact that she was born in Mainland China (indicated by the letter X) plus her looks (and perhaps her Chinese surname) would have been sufficient.
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtkl:
    Exactly what I was getting at! Looks like it’s a complicated matter even for @bobly who seems to disregard the child of a foreign born Canadian citizen (which is a given considering my post was a reply regarding the subject of your original post) who lived in Canada for 10 years but happened to have a child while out of Canada.
    I like how you actually didn't read my post and misrepresented. I also show you a general rule that certainly can have exceptions.

First of all, I never said child of foreign born Canadian citizen cannot inherit citizenship rights. That is fairly clear. LEARN TO READ.
    Canada's newish law only cuts off this right AFTER THE SECOND GENERATION. that is, you cannot have generation after generation of people who are never born in Canada and have little connection to the country. that child can get citizenship while born abroad, but she is the cut-off. Her child must be born in Canada after that (and then alternate every 2 generations if you must).

English much? @mtkl

Quote Originally Posted by bobly:
    I like how you actually didn't read my post and misrepresented. I also show you a general rule that certainly can have exceptions.

First of all, I never said child of foreign born Canadian citizen cannot inherit citizenship rights. That is fairly clear. LEARN TO READ.
    Canada's newish law only cuts off this right AFTER THE SECOND GENERATION. that is, you cannot have generation after generation of people who are never born in Canada and have little connection to the country. that child can get citizenship while born abroad, but she is the cut-off. Her child must be born in Canada after that (and then alternate every 2 generations if you must).

English much? @mtkl
    Oh dear, don’t mix up connection to Canada with place of birth. Past cases suggest the connection to Canada factor was totally disregarded in favour of place of birth, until complaints were made.

Sorry you’re having trouble understanding it. Hopefully, your descendants don’t have to suffer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by mtkl:
    Oh dear, don’t mix up connection to Canada with place of birth. Past cases suggest the connection to Canada factor was totally disregarded in favour of place of birth, until complaints were made.

Sorry you’re having trouble understanding it. Hopefully, your descendants don’t have to suffer as a result.
    If I understood your English, I might have a response.

Quote Originally Posted by bobly:
    If I understood your English, I might have a response.
    That was a pretty lame response which speaks poorly of you, but anyway, read this and note that the person’s “connection to Canada” was irrelevant: https://torontolife.com/city/this-la...enship-policy/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5