Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kma88
  • 1 Post By BritishRose

ROA or RTL if mother can get back her HK ID after being away for many years?

ROA or RTL if mother can get back her HK ID after being away for many years?

My mother born in Macau, but then moved to HK soon afterwards for around 15 years (~around the 1960s). She then immigrated to the US for college.
    Is it feasible for her to return back to HK and reclaim her HK ID / PR? (She can no longer can find her old HK ID but I think she should be able to prove residence in HK through some documentation as she attended education all the way up to secondary school there)

And if so, as her child, am I eligible to obtain ROA or RTL? (I was born in the US)

For your mom, yes.

For yourself unlikely. Unless:

1)To inherit HK RoA as Chinese national - Your mom was "not settled abroad" when you were born, ie. she was in the US on a student visa, work visa, etc. rather than green card or US citizen.

2) To inherit HK RoA as a BDTC (British HK citizenship) by descent - born before July 1997 and your mom was naturalised as BDTC during her time in HK. If you were born before 1983 I think you could only inherit this from your dad, but I'm not totally sure.

Did you also try to get Macau RoA thru your mom?

I haven't to get ROA from Macau yet, something I will need to also look into

Should also look into getting Portuguese passport. Opens up freedom of movement for the whole of EU.

emx likes this.

Hi guys,

I have a very similar user case: my mother has a Macau ID (did high school there) but then emigrated to Europe and gave birth to me. If I read the ROA rules carefully I highly doubt that I am entitled to it as my mom had already gotten an European passport when I was born.

However I still want to try and see if there is some way around this- I speak the language, visit relatives there all the time, it is very much part of “my” identity. So imagine my frustration knowing there are kids my age that have no connection or whatsoever with the place just get handed out their IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by WynnCas:
    Hi guys,

I have a very similar user case: my mother has a Macau ID (did high school there) but then emigrated to Europe and gave birth to me. If I read the ROA rules carefully I highly doubt that I am entitled to it as my mom had already gotten an European passport when I was born.

However I still want to try and see if there is some way around this- I speak the language, visit relatives there all the time, it is very much part of “my” identity. So imagine my frustration knowing there are kids my age that have no connection or whatsoever with the place just get handed out their IDs.
    Your conclusion is correct, it is all about if one of your parents have 'settled abroad'.
    Unfortunately there is no leniency around this, as they still look at the fact your parent(s) live abroad and hold a foreign nationality.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Also just to confirm that paying taxes and having property in HK will not override and undo 'settled abroad' status (also the fact that the parent doesn't reside in HK anymore), so I have learned from my nephews' applications.

Both nephews have had their applications rejected for HKID, but have been offered an appointment possibly to apply for a Young Person's ID Card.