Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By qhank

HK ID card / visa query

HK ID card / visa query

Hi there,

I am moving to HK this year and starting a job in mid August for a school that will process my work visa.

However, I plan to go out initially at the end of May on the 6 month travel visa (as a UK citizen), as I expect my work visa not to start until the contract begins. After roughly 3.5 weeks I will be returning to the UK for approximately 2 weeks before returning to HK permanently.

Firstly, can I check that am ok to leave HK and return whilst still in the 6 month travel visa period?

Secondly, will I need to get an ID card whilst on the travel visa (before moving onto the work visa)?

Thanks in advance, trying to get clarity on this online and struggling.

John

tl;dr .. you're over complicating and over thinking it.

One point... ID cards are for residents not tourists. You would need a valid work visa to be issued before you can get an identification document.

qhank and BritishRose like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    tl;dr .. you're over complicating and over thinking it.

One point... ID cards are for residents not tourists. You would need a valid work visa to be issued before you can get an identification document.
    And if the visa is issued to you while you're already in HK as a tourist, you'd need to exit Hong Kong and re-enter in order to activate your visa (there were exceptions to this rule during Covid but those days are long gone).
    shri likes this.

Thanks both for your replies. That’s clarified it - realise I was over complicating it, like you say!