Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By MirrorD12
  • 2 Post By PLamHK
  • 1 Post By qhank
  • 2 Post By qhank

VEPIC without Parents' Old Passports

VEPIC without Parents' Old Passports

I was born in '90 in Canada, and my HK-born Chinese parents received Canadian PR in '93. I also lived in HK (for less than 7 years) and received a childhood HKID card, which has long since expired. I'm planning to make a stop in HK this summer for VEPIC, since I'm pretty sure I'm a Chinese national eligible for ROA.

My parents were not settled abroad in Canada when I was born, but they don't have their old passports any more. They only have the IMM 1000 certificate of landing (i.e., certificate of permanent residency from Canada) to show that they became Canadian PRs in '93, after I was born.

I read in a lot of other threads that the immigration department asks for the parents' old passports to look at the entry and exit stamps when determining whether they settled abroad. Does anyone have experience in this case, where the old passports have been lost? Will the immigration department ask for evidence besides the IMM 1000 if the old passports are no longer available?

You mentioned that you already have a childhood HKID card. This card should reflect your status in HK. You might not have to worry that much about your parents' old passports depending on what your HKID card says on it.

Assuming you have the old-school laminated paper HKID card, you should see a section below your date of birth that has a bunch of symbols. If those symbols include three stars (***), then you are already presumed to be a Chinese citizen.

In that case, does he have to go through VEPIC at all ?

My childhood HKID had 1 star on it (3 stars is the equivalent for adult HKID cards), but from what I've read, it isn't considered definitive proof of Chinese nationality. I applied for an adult HKID card when I turned 18, but the immigration officer I spoke to confiscated my old card on the basis that I hadn't been resident in HK continuously for 7 years.

That shouldn't have mattered for Chinese nationals, but I went to a small immigration office in the New Territories instead of Wan Chai HQ, and I don't know if the officer adjudicated my application correctly. I think that I'll have to establish Chinese nationality with ImmD at this point.

Last edited by MirrorD12; 20-04-2024 at 05:09 AM.
    shri, Anahan and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anahan:
    You mentioned that you already have a childhood HKID card. This card should reflect your status in HK. You might not have to worry that much about your parents' old passports depending on what your HKID card says on it.

Assuming you have the old-school laminated paper HKID card, you should see a section below your date of birth that has a bunch of symbols. If those symbols include three stars (***), then you are already presumed to be a Chinese citizen.
    For HKIDs issued prior to the handover, the three stars only designate Chinese ethnicity rather than nationality.
    shafiq likes this.

“ * “ Child aged 11-17

“ *** “ Adult

The asterisks simply means the holder is Eligible for “Hong Kong Right of Re-Entry”.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/service/...ry_Permit.html

Eligibility

• Chinese citizens who have either acquired the right of abode or been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong; or

• persons not of Chinese nationality who have been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong but cannot obtain national passports or travel documents of any other countries or regions.

Yes, but in earlier years *** HKIDs were erroneously issued to others. I had a gweilo acquaintance who got one (just pre-handover I think) simply by being married to a mainland Chinese woman.

Morrison and shafiq like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    Yes, but in earlier years *** HKIDs were erroneously issued to others. I had a gweilo acquaintance who got one (just pre-handover I think) simply by being married to a mainland Chinese woman.
    Well the pre-handover law says that you should get three stars if you're "wholly or partly of Chinese race" (inter alia), I guess someone decided that marriage can make you partly Chinese
    PRplease and PLamHK like this.