Like Tree23Likes

Right to land HKID and employment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by WineLuver:
    I once passed interview for a large listed company in Hong Kong, which hires a lot of foreigners, and HR idiots were arguing that my HK PR ID is not sufficient for work permit, and insisted that I needed triple star in my HKID...

Even though I passed them what "HKPR" means using immigrations website.... what a nonsense...
    In the end they finally learned what it means to be HK PR.
    I understand employers don't want to be fined or jailed for hiring unlawfully, but it's a bit much isn't it when employees know the rules yet employers/HR don't. How many other people were declined work opportunities purely from a tiny inconvenience and HR's incompetence.

I'm hoping it's all been resolved, but a quick search on the immd site came up with the following which should make it unambiguous to HR - https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/index.html

Off topic I know, but you're the first RZ I've come across, as I thought birth in HK meant automatic Right of Abode, but obviously rules must have changed.

Beanieskis likes this.

I'm hoping it's all been resolved, but a quick search on the immd site came up with the following which should make it unambiguous to HR.

"In general, unless a person has the right of abode or right to land in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), he/she requires a visa/entry permit to work, study, establish or join in any business, take up residence or to stay in the HKSAR as a visitor longer than the allowed visa free period."

My post of the link was not allowed by the mods, but I found it by searching the immd site with the phrase "right to land" (including the quotes). Good luck with the job.

Off topic I know, but you're the first RZ I've come across, as I thought birth in HK meant automatic Right of Abode, but obviously rules must have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ktc:
    My post of the link was not allowed by the mods, but I found it by searching the immd site with the phrase "right to land" (including the quotes). Good luck with the job.

It's still not resolved (
    I forwarded website links and phone numbers (immigration enquiry line and the police anti-crime number where you can check the validity of ID cards, I think) but still no reply yet. If HR does not approve or get back to me by the end of this week, I am searching for work elsewhere. But then what if the whole issue starts again :'( I can only hope future companies are more informed.

In response to your last point, I think it might be because I am non-chinese so I don't get permanent ROA (as in I can never lose ROA) hence I have the RTL hkid.

Are those HR idiots brain dead? Please give them a peace of your mind after this is done! Bloody useless oxygen thieves.

Turns out my immd link was approved, so I've left it.

Sorry to hear it's taking so long. In any other situation, I'd complain but it's not appropriate in your circumstances. I suppose you can only bite your tongue and smile, whilst forwarding official links. As someone else mentioned, you should look at the competence of this company, and could spend any spare time looking for another job so you have a backup (or a second choice). All the best.

Thanks for explaining the RZ - the reasons never crossed my mind. Still, as another user mentioned, you will get ROA in 7 years, assuming you don't leave for an extended period (>6m I think). AFAIK, the only added benefit is voting rights.

Last edited by ktc; 26-05-2024 at 07:03 PM.
    jess_15 and Beanieskis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ktc:
    Thanks for explaining the RZ - the reasons never crossed my mind. Still, as another user mentioned, you will get ROA in 7 years, assuming you don't leave for an extended period (>6m I think). AFAIK, the only added benefit is voting rights.
    As far as I know you can only have Right to Land if you previously had Right of Abode by 7-year residence and then lost it through 3-year absence. It's quite possible for someone in jess_15's situation to toggle between the two several times in their lifetime.
    jess_15 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    As far as I know you can only have Right to Land if you previously had Right of Abode by 7-year residence and then lost it through 3-year absence. It's quite possible for someone in jess_15's situation to toggle between the two several times in their lifetime.
    My first HKID was RTL by virtue of a parent. I finally got ROA by being in HK for 7 years and not absent for more than 6m. As you say, if I am away >3y, I will downgrade to RTL and have to go through the whole cycle again to regain ROA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2