Like Tree9Likes

Hong Kong PR application help

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,613
    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You generally don't need employer support to get PR. You dont even need to have a job. You should be fine if you just make an appearance in HK once every 4-5 months, and when applying you will need to declare HK as your only place of permanent residence. This declaration is done via form ROP146. On this form you need to not only declare HK as your only place of permanent residence, but you also need to provide evidence of this by listing your current HK address, and then stating whether its self owned, rented, or other. So this is where putting your name on a friends lease might help on this declaration.
    If the OP leaves HK for several years and is employed full time overseas where they are a tax resident, I think it would be a stretch to later claim they had 7 years of unbroken residence. What my colleagues did, with employer assistance, was maintain employment and paying tax residence in HK, in order to make a really strong argument that what they'd been doing overseas was a short term secondment.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    If the OP leaves HK for several years and is employed full time overseas where they are a tax resident, I think it would be a stretch to later claim they had 7 years of unbroken residence. What my colleagues did, with employer assistance, was maintain employment and paying tax residence in HK, in order to make a really strong argument that what they'd been doing overseas was a short term secondment.

    Argument with whom?
    There's nothing to argue. All you need is to have the ability to live in HK for 7 years legally (i.e. your visa needs to reach for 7years+1 day). There is no need to be employed. And on the form for PR you don't argue anything either. You are just being asked if you have been out of HK for over 6 months. If OP comes back every 5 months or so there is no lie.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,613
    Quote Originally Posted by newhkpr:
    Argument with whom?
    There's nothing to argue. All you need is to have the ability to live in HK for 7 years legally (i.e. your visa needs to reach for 7years+1 day). There is no need to be employed. And on the form for PR you don't argue anything either. You are just being asked if you have been out of HK for over 6 months. If OP comes back every 5 months or so there is no lie.
    On the application form you explain why you have been out of HK for periods of more than 6 months and my understanding is that you need to convince Immigration that you've taken HK as your permanent home. Immigration have full access to your entries and exits from HK. Moving overseas full time for >2 years and nipping back to HK every 5 months versus remaining employed in HK and just being seconded overseas by your employer - seems pretty clear which would constitute the stronger "argument" that you have taken HK as your permanent home should your PR application be challenged.

    If it's as easy as you say, then someone who leaves HK after 5 years could just come back every 5 months then apply for PR 7 years after they first arrived in HK? Can people get PR in those circumstances?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    If it's as easy as you say, then someone who leaves HK after 5 years could just come back every 5 months then apply for PR 7
    years after they first arrived in HK? Can people get PR in those circumstances?
    I know someone who did exactly this. It seems in reality immigration doesn't put under scrutiny PR applications, if all formal checkboxes on the application form are ok.
    newhkpr likes this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    香港特别行政区
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by newhkpr:
    Argument with whom?
    There's nothing to argue. All you need is to have the ability to live in HK for 7 years legally (i.e. your visa needs to reach for 7years+1 day). There is no need to be employed. And on the form for PR you don't argue anything either. You are just being asked if you have been out of HK for over 6 months. If OP comes back every 5 months or so there is no lie.
    They also ask for evidence that you have lived in Hong Kong throughout your residence, in particular tax receipts

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11

    is an unbroken chain of tax receipts a must have? If end up being unemployed for a while and not paying tax (but otherwise living in HK with rent/electricity etc) - would that mean PR would be denied


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    位置位置位置
    Posts
    48,848
    Quote Originally Posted by novacat:
    is an unbroken chain of tax receipts a must have? If end up being unemployed for a while and not paying tax (but otherwise living in HK with rent/electricity etc) - would that mean PR would be denied
    Not a problem if you remained in HK and on a valid visa. As an example many dependents do not work.. there is is no codified exemption for them..

    Nothing to worry about ...

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    207

    Many dependents don't work, don't have any contract/bill attached to their name, and still get the PR. However they do physically reside in Hong Kong.

    newhkpr likes this.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Posts
    11

    Thanks for all the suggestions, it seems there is a strong possibility of getting the application approved in my case.


Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2