going in and out of macau

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    And flag your passport so that future entry becomes more difficult.
    Has anyone ever worked out what 'SCL' stands for?

@wayland,

Until you have your HKID card (which you must apply for within 14 days of arriving I think) they'll stamp your passport. With your HKID card you can go through the e-channels with your HKID alone. You'll still need your passport at the Macau end and it will be stamped there.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    I have my work visa and I understand I no longer need to queue in the Visitors lineup at immigration.

So when visiting Macao and coming back to HK, will they stamp my passport as they did in the past? Or does having the work visa mean I no longer need it stamped?
    Once you get your ID card, no need to queue at all to enter and exit HONG KONG (you still need to queue for Macau). Just go use the machines - dead simple and heaps faster. I have not stood in a queue since I got my card. But in answer to your question, obviously, if you use your ID card in a machine, no more stamps.

Make sure they stamp your work visa to "activate it" and not to let you in as a tourist

Went through very unfunny experience where they stamped me in as tourist, then discovered the work visa, then had to go get a supervisor to "undo" the tourist stamp and re-stamp (correctly) Took about 40 minutes and obviously made lots of friends in the line behind me

If you have a work visa (and no HKID, such is the case for those here on a six month contract) you can still use a specific line for residents - next to the frequent traveller line (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    If you have a work visa (and no HKID, such is the case for those here on a six month contract)
    Ah, yes. I forgot that case. Thanks for the clarification.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Question: Why do I ALWAYS manage to get in the slowest moving queue there? My DOH marvels at this amazing ability I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Question: Why do I ALWAYS manage to get in the slowest moving queue there? My DOH marvels at this amazing ability I have.
    Just lucky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    If you have a work visa (and no HKID, such is the case for those here on a six month contract) you can still use a specific line for residents - next to the frequent traveller line (I think)
    That's my situation so far. I haven't had the time to apply for HKID yet (yes I'm eligible with the 1yr work visa).

So will my passport get stamped?

Probably. You might want to look at the rules for a HKID, I think it might be mandatory to get one quite quickly after getting a 1 yr work visa ... so "not having time" could get you into hot water if you are not careful!