Civil Partnership

Civil Partnership

Hi - can I please ask for a little advise?

I am moving to HK in mid January & plan on bringing my partner and her daughter over in July / August?

Is a civil partnership recognised in Hong Kong? We have been living together for over 3 years, but have not married yet.

Basically - do we need to be married to get a visa for my partner and my daughter?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes you do. We had to convert our civil partnership to a marriage for my partner to come with me to HK. You can alternatively apply for a long term visa (6 months) for your partner but it's a tedious and ABSOLUTELY annoying process as it requires just too much personal information. It was WAY easier getting a civil marriage certificate and then getting a dependent's visa.

As minhk says. Going through a marriage here is a trivial process, and only you, two witnesses and the civil celebrant (a solicitor) need to know about it (*) - you can have a "proper" wedding party later in whatever style you wish just without any legal significance.

Getting married also means that the partner on a Dependant Visa can also work if you wish without further paperwork, which they can't on an extended visitor's visa.

Just to be clear though, I know that HK does not recognise "common law marriage" (i.e. there have been no formalities"). I'm not actually sure whether they recognise "Civil Partnership" (between a man and a woman) where there is a formal agreement as equivalent to marriage. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this?

(*) Obviously plus anyone you then tell about it for your own benefit - Immigration to get the Dependant Visa, Inland Revenue for tax benefits perhaps...

Last edited by PDLM; 04-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks for your help guys...

Sham marriage it is then... The Mrs to be will be pleased!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm not actually sure whether they recognise "Civil Partnership" (between a man and a woman) where there is a formal agreement as equivalent to marriage.
    As a "civil partnership" can be between a man and a man, e.g. in the UK, the HK government will not accept any civil partnership.