How long does it take to get my dependent visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How long does it take to get my dependent visa

My husband had an appointment with the immigration office today to apply for my dependent visa. All passed but he was told it took 4-6 weeks for processing. Do you guys have any idea about that.
    Thanks

Last edited by airay; 12-06-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Sorry this isn't an answer to your question but a question I'd like to ad to this thread.

My girlfriend and I have a baby together and we are moving to Hong Kong. She has a job lined up and I intend to start up my own import company.

Can I quilify for a dependents visa without us being married?

If I do set-up my own company would I be able to quilify for a visa?

ps Good luck with the pregnancy and birth Airay. We just had a little girl six weeks ago. Amazing experience alround.

>> Can I quilify for a dependents visa without us being married?

Nope. Most countries would not allow this...

>> If I do set-up my own company would I be able to quilify for a visa?

If you can meet the investment minimums and convince immigration that you have a viable plan which will involve you paying taxes and hiring locals.

>> My husband had an appointment with the immigration office today to apply for my dependent visa. All passed but he was told it took 4-6 weeks for processing. Do you guys have any idea about that. Is it possible to expedite since I am in my 6 month pregnancy.

There should be a phone number and a docket number on the application receipt.

I'd recommend your husband get on the phone at 8:59 AM and keeps hitting the redial button till he gets through.

Once he gets through (takes a fair bit) he needs to explain the situation and request that the case be expedited.

They'll ask him for a fax .. which will again involve a bit of redialing.

Also I'd recommend emailing them on [email protected] -- they usually respond in 48 hours or 2 business days.

If your application does not have some obvious red-flags (you're not a falung gong leader are you?) you should be able to get your visa pretty quickly.

Usually takes 4 weeks.

O, four weeks. Thanks!

Hi Airay

To give some feedback, I've arrived in HKG 3 and a half weeks ago. Within the first week I went to the Immigration office with hubby to apply for dependent visa (7th floor in Immigration Tower), they then gave me a letter with extra details they wished me to bring on my next following apointment that was in 2 weeks. In the next appointment, I brought all the extra documents they wanted (ie wedding photo's/certificates, husband work contract, pay slips etc, etc...) and they approved my dependant visa there and then, of couse you pay $135 for the priviledge and to have sticker in passport. All in all, it took a minimum of two weeks to process mine. So it can be done quicker, you just wait around for a bit and keep moving on to the next desk. Hope this helps!!

Fingers crossed for the new bundle of joy-to-be!!

Toots

Hi Toots

I was just in yesterday with my husband doing the same, he works for Cathay and we are staying in there hotel untill we find permanenet accomadation. Theya sked for bank Statements which of course we don't have yet as we hsve only been here 10 days and a copy of the contract for accomadation which again we don't have yet. Did they accept a letter from work stating your salary. allowance for rent etc?

Thanks

Barbara

Hi Barbara

The letter from work (original with signatures) or work contract should be sufficient, as long as it states salary and allowances. They did mention the accomodation contract, but said that its not essential as they can work from my husbands details instead. Hope this helps. Maybe just bring as much info as poss, they photocopy everything for their records. Cheers Toots

toots

You mean I can apply for my dependent visa in HK instead of waiting in the States.

Last edited by airay; 09-06-2005 at 11:45 PM.

>> You mean I can apply for my dependent visa in HK instead of waiting in the States.

Yes. You can arrive here as a tourist while your application is being processed. They'll issue you a new sticker and you'll need to reenter on the dependant visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast