CDN renewing HKID and return home permit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CDN renewing HKID and return home permit

I have a child HK permanent ID card that needs to be renewed, and a return home card that has been expired a long time.
    I have a Canadian passport. I am planning to return to HK, and renew HKID to the adult card. Does anyone know if I would be able to renew the return home card as well, and how long the whole process would take?
    Many thanks

hkconfused

The HKID will take about one to two weeks. Once you've submitted your application and it has been approved, they'll issue you a temporary paper ID which needs to be surrendered upon receiving your new Smart ID.

As for the home return permit, you can only apply for that from the China Travel Service and this could take more than three weeks because they need to send your application to the authorities in Guang Zhou. Also, you would need to present an HKSAR passport as proof of citizenship to apply for the home return permit so that may take another couple of weeks.

Thx for the prompt reply Aritaurus!

I have another question about the home return permit - what if I don't have a HKSAR passport? Am I eligible to get one as long as I have perm id card?

If I am not eligible for HKSAR passport, does my child home return permit entitle me to an adult one once renewed?

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by hkconfused:
    Thx for the prompt reply Aritaurus!

I have another question about the home return permit - what if I don't have a HKSAR passport? Am I eligible to get one as long as I have perm id card?

If I am not eligible for HKSAR passport, does my child home return permit entitle me to an adult one once renewed?

THANKS!
    They might ask for the passport. But if you've had a previous home return permit I suspect it is probably not an issue.

Where were you born? If you have *** on your ID card you should be able to get the home return permit and/or passport.

Hey Hairball, I am CBC and have one star...
    I hope it gets upgraded to three star when I renew, but I'll be about 1 year late getting it renewed...
    Any suggestions on what the best method is to enter HK in this situation? Does it matter if I use the HKID or the CDN passport?
    Also how does one go about getting a HK passport? Is that even possible for me since my parents were "settled" when I was born?
    Also, one last q, if because I need to go to China soon I get a China visa stamped on my CDN passport instead of using home return, does that put me at a legal disadvantage?

BTW, I really liked your guide - it was nice and clear

THANKS

Hey Hairball, I am CBC and have one star...
    I hope it gets upgraded to three star when I renew, but I'll be about 1 year late getting it renewed...
    Any suggestions on what the best method is to enter HK in this situation? Does it matter if I use the HKID or the CDN passport?
    Also how does one go about getting a HK passport? Is that even possible for me since my parents were "settled" when I was born?
    Also, one last q, if because I need to go to China soon I get a China visa stamped on my CDN passport instead of using home return, does that put me at a legal disadvantage?

BTW, I really liked your guide - it was nice and clear

THANKS
    One star is the under 18 version of three stars. I suppose you applied before 1997 when I believe basically any ethnic Chinese descendant of a HK person would have that. I applied last year and they wouldn't give me *** because they apply the rules properly now.

See if you're able to get a *** permanent ID card, if you're able to then you can get the passport, if not you're out of luck. I had a CBC friend who had *** but eventually lost it after the HK Immigration found out his parents were settled abroad when he was born. He later had to prove that they weren't "settled" in their definition, I think one or both of his parents were on visas at the time.

Since you have a previous HKID use that to enter HK. If it's outdated they will force you to get a new one.

As for whether you use a Canadian passport to enter mainland China, that depends if you're regarded as a Chinese citizen. If you indeed are considered one, then normally you are forced to use your home return permit, and they wouldn't give you a visa. In this case you wouldn't be eligible for any Canadian diplomatic assistance.

Even if they give you a visa for your Canadian passport, and you use that to enter, they're supposed to still recognize you on the passport you used to enter based on an agreement that China has with Canada. (in the case you are regarded as Chinese) But... you never know.

But regardless, do not cause trouble in China!

All British Dependent Territory Citizens with Hong Kong belonger status had " * " or " *** " on their HKID before 1997 regardless if were born in Hong Kong or abroad.

What's strange is that I have some CBC friends who have a Smart ID with " *** " while others who did not meet the residency requirements only have " RO ". My guess is , if you had " *** " before 1997, you can retain it as long you meet the requirements to keep your Permanent Identity Card.

It really wouldn't do you much good if you try to apply for a Home Return Permit or an HKSAR passport. I've read about a CBC on this forum with " *** " on her HKID being denied an HKSAR passport because she was not considered a Chinese citizen. At one point, they allowed all HKID holders with " *** " to apply for the Home return permit , but now an HKSAR passport is a prerequisite.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 15-01-2009 at 04:38 AM.

hmm... well, that really does sound like I'm out of luck for home return 'cause I'm very likely not considered a Chinese citizen...

I guess I'll just have to apply for a "normal" visa and pay more money... BTW, do you guys know if you can get a china visa for cdn passport in HK?

Aritaurus, by you "don't think it would do much good" to apply for passport/home return do you mean there could be negative consequences i.e. the authorities would flag you as "non-chinese?"

hmm... well, that really does sound like I'm out of luck for home return 'cause I'm very likely not considered a Chinese citizen...

I guess I'll just have to apply for a "normal" visa and pay more money... BTW, do you guys know if you can get a china visa for cdn passport in HK?

Aritaurus, by you "don't think it would do much good" to apply for passport/home return do you mean there could be negative consequences i.e. the authorities would flag you as "non-chinese?"
    Sorry about the wording in my last post. What I meant was , even if you have " *** " on your HKID , they can still check whether you are considered a Chinese citizen or not based on your place of birth and your current nationality.

As for the visas , there's many options since you're eligible for an HKID. If you have a Permanent Identity Card , you can apply for the three year multiple entry visa which can only be applied for in one certain place in Wan Chai. If you have the Right to Land but not Right of Abode , you're eligible for a one year visa which can be applied for in most travel agencies or visa agents.

There are many places in Hong Kong that offer same day service for Chinese visas. I personally go to this one place in Hung Hum for the 90 day business visa and they make it really easy. You just show up with your passport in the morning, pay HKD$20 for a photo and you just come back to pick it up your passport before 6pm. I've done this a couple of times already and it worked out pretty well.

Tourist visas are only 30 days but most places can get you the 90 day business visa for around HKD$300 or so.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 15-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.

I takes two weeks for the smart ID card. It is recommended to make an appointment before arriving in HK: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...kregidcard.htm

When you show up for the appointment you can try to apply for the HKSAR passport; maybe you will be lucky. If they were to decline your application they will give you a full refund. Takes one or two weeks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast