visa for a nanny

Closed Thread

Cool visa for a nanny

Hi,

I have a visa question and I've read loads of threads and not found anything that exactly answers it. I recently moved to HK with my bf (he was relocated from London, has the job, visa, HKID, etc...) and now I'm looking for work.

My strengths are childcare and unlike London, where every family has a nanny/maternity nurse/au pair, I'm struggling to find the same in HK. So at the moment I'm keeping in contact with my London agencies that sometimes place nannies in HK but I want to know how a visa sponsorship works for private families.

Can a family (most likely an expat family) sponsor a nanny/me a visa? Or does the agency that found me the job have to apply for my visa? And how would I go about applying for it?

If anybody knows of any childcare agencies in HK pls let me know too, thanks. Or other nannies/maternity nurses on HK Island.

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by sascja:
    London, where every family has a nanny/maternity nurse/au pair
    Er, wow! London seems to have changed enormously from the one I lived in a few years back.

Either that or that statement is complete BS.

I'm sorry if I shocked you so much - let me change that to 'it seems that almost every family'.

It wasn't intended as an accurate description of London just a comparison between London and HK and also Cape Town where I am from and where it is not as common to have a nanny/maternity nurse/au pair.

Again, my apologies.

Sascja, you'll learn that Berry takes every thread post very literal

I would say that a far higher proportion of families in HK have live-in domestic help (call them nannies, au pairs, maids, DHs, whatever) than in London. I don't know anyone who did in the UK. Here I don't know any family (as opposed to single people) who doesn't.

The problem sascja is that the market rate is about HKD3270 per month plus accommodation (in a 6x4 cell), and I suspect you wouldn't be prepared to work for that.

Hey berryplucker

You seem to be keen to argue everything I say. I'm not looking for work as a domestic worker, I know about the pay, accomodation, etc. I'm looking to work as a nanny which is little different - but feel free to tell me otherwise.

I was in London 3 weeks ago and in the time that I was working there as a nanny and a maternity nurse it was my experience that a lot of families have a nanny/MN/au pairs, and the many nanny agencies that exist in London would sort of back that up.

Anyway, thanks for your help clearing everything up.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

There is no 'nanny visa' available; the closet you would get would be the DH visa which would not apply to you as it is restricted to South East Asian Countries. Even Chinese from the mainland cannot work here under the DH visa.
    The few nannys I have seen here are usually brought in by corporations for their bigwigs. They have get the usual expat perks, and do not live in. Your best bet would be to try and get a job before coming here, as no individual could possibly afford to hire you.

Thanks kombuchakid. That's pretty much what I've found out too. Will try some other way then.