So Sorry but need advice

Closed Thread

So Sorry but need advice

I am so sorry to be asking another serious of questions about immigration.

I looked at my options a while back and had decided that my easiest option was the Capital Investment Scheme, however I just read on the HSBC website that you have to also prove that you have held the assets for a minimum of two years prior to the application - a fact not mentioned on the HK gov documents which is all I had read. So my first question is - is this so and what are the chances of being accepted anyway if the money is a recent inheritance?

Secondly I have a 17 year old daughter who will be coming with me and all the information says that she can only come as a dependent child if she is under 18 which is fine for the remainder of this year but what happens when she turns 18? Is there a better way to organise things now to avoid possible complications when she turns 18?

Although adoption, by my future husband, may be a possibility there are complications with that from this side that Iwould prefer to avoid and I am not sure that this is a good option given her age???? Have to admit total ignorance on this option. If it is even an option.

Thirdly I am coming to HK to get married - would it be advisable to just ignore all other options and just claim ROA based on marriage?

I am looking for the simplest and easiest options. I abhore complications if avoidable.

Lastly I will need to travel in China for several months at a time (approximately 2 -3 months) a few times this coming year - what are my choices with a visa? I will not be giving up my citizenship I don't think immediately.

Although again - if that makes life simpler I will do that, but I had questions about the advisability of doing so simply because I will also be travelling to other parts of the globe as well and I am not sure what the acceptibility is of a Chinese passport in some parts of the globe.

Again I believe in least complicated LOL.

I hope I have given enough information for you all to assist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XI_YAN:
    I looked at my options a while back and had decided that my easiest option was the Capital Investment Scheme, however I just read on the HSBC website that you have to also prove that you have held the assets for a minimum of two years prior to the application - a fact not mentioned on the HK gov documents which is all I had read. So my first question is - is this so and what are the chances of being accepted anyway if the money is a recent inheritance?
    The Immigration Department website section on the CIES is totally explicit on this point, so I don't see how you can make this claim. I don't see any exemptions available to the two year requirement.

Secondly I have a 17 year old daughter who will be coming with me and all the information says that she can only come as a dependent child if she is under 18 which is fine for the remainder of this year but what happens when she turns 18? Is there a better way to organise things now to avoid possible complications when she turns 18?
    In principle I believe that if the Dependent Visa is granted before she is 18 then she can keep such a visa as long as she remains Dependent, and if she stays resident here then after 7 years she would be entitled to Right of Abode based on 7 years continuous residency (spells elsewhere for full-time study are, I think, allowed).
    Although adoption, by my future husband, may be a possibility there are complications with that from this side that I would prefer to avoid and I am not sure that this is a good option given her age???? Have to admit total ignorance on this option. If it is even an option.
    I'm not sure. She can't get a visa as a Dependent of a Dependent, but maybe ImmD would allow your husband to sponsor her as his Dependent simply because of the marriage and without any other adoption procedures. I'd actually be quite interested to know the answer to this. Maybe you should email [email protected] to ask.

Thirdly I am coming to HK to get married - would it be advisable to just ignore all other options and just claim ROA based on marriage?
    You can't get Right of Abode based on marriage. What you get is a Dependent Visa (which allows you to works, study, do whatever you want, assuming your husband is resident here on any basis other than a Study Visa). After you have lived here on that visa continuously for 7 years then you can apply for Right of Abode.
    I am looking for the simplest and easiest options. I abhor complications if avoidable.
    For you the Dependent Visa is clearly the easiest route, not least because I don't think you are eligible for the CIES. If ImmD confirms that your daughter would also be granted a Dependent Visa then to me there's no question you should go that way. Another possibility would be for your daughter to get a Study Visa if she plans to go to Uni here.
    Lastly I will need to travel in China for several months at a time (approximately 2 -3 months) a few times this coming year - what are my choices with a visa? I will not be giving up my citizenship I don't think immediately.
    As a HK Resident / ID card holder, you should have no problem getting a multi-entry visa to China. The first one or two might be for 6 months but after that you should be able to get 12 month visas.
    Although again - if that makes life simpler I will do that, but I had questions about the advisability of doing so simply because I will also be travelling to other parts of the globe as well and I am not sure what the acceptibility is of a Chinese passport in some parts of the globe.
    I see no reason for you to try to take Chinese nationality. Very, very few expats coming to HK with a widely accepted passport have ever done so.
    Last edited by PDLM; 25-01-2009 at 10:05 AM.

thanks so much - perhaps I should have mentioned that my fiance is Chinese, HK resident and I am making the move permanent. So basically let me just check my info - I can't get the Capital Investment Scheme and can only get a dependent Visa based on marriage but my daughter can't get a visa being a dependent of a dependent. She won't qualify for a study visa (it's complicated pls don't ask) in her own right so how do I get her here? Thanks

I think you need to ask Immigration. They are quite responsive by phone or email: [email protected]

I think there's a good chance they would grant her a Dependant Visa as a dependant on your husband, but I'm not sure. It's probably a case-by-case decision.

Thank you again,

I have just sent off an email to HK immD. I also did a search on the website and either I am just plain dumb or the information I need isn't that obvious to find. All the information regarding dependent Visas seems to reference being a dependent of a person of Foreign Nationality who has been granted a Work Visa. Although I admit my eyes go squiffy trying to read legalise.

If you can bear the question - is there any information to access for some one who is not wanting to work, and who is just marrying a Chinese Hong Kong citizen, who has a child from a previous marriage and just wants to come live in HK, 'happily ever after' LOL (NO please don't comment it was a joke).

OK - remember that it is Chinese New Year - Monday through Wednesday are public holidays, so you won't get an answer until Thursday or Friday at the earliest.

This document seems the best place to start about Dependant Visas: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/id998.htm
    Your husband to be is a Permanent Resident as described in that document. For the purposes of Dependant Visas all Permanent Residents are the same, regardless of whether they are HK Chinese Citizens or just (like me) PRs from 7 years residence.

thank you that helped - my inclination however is find an expert and leave it in their hands
    Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see why - if ImmD says that they will be happy to accept an application for a dependant visa for your daughter, sponsored by your husband, then the paperwork is really very straightforward. If they say that won't, then they won't. No expert is going to change that. No need to waste money, even if you do have rather a lot of it!

it's called doing things the stress free way - if it's SEP (somebody else's problem)
    then it's not MY problem and I don't have to stress LOL besides that I hate dealing with this kind of stuff.

thanx again for the input - at least I have a better idea now of what to do and hopefully an expert may know how to get my daughter to HK if the option you suggest isn't viable. I am NOT leaving her behind!

Last edited by XI_YAN; 25-01-2009 at 08:00 PM.