Multiple student visa

Closed Thread

Multiple student visa

I have a bit of a question so I hope someone can shed some light. I will be applying to PolyU HKCC to start studying in September 2009. I am just waiting for my acceptance letter so that I can apply for my HK student visa.

Because I will be arriving in HK in May I would like to study in the summer. I found at Chinese University Of Hong Kong a great Mandarin program for the summer and as long as I do the full program they will sponsor my visa. Now here is the question. Can I have two student visa's? One from CUHK and One for Polyu? Or is it better for me to wait to get my PolyU visa, become a HK resident and simply apply as a resident status at CUHK?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To be considered a "resident" for acceptance on a course means you are a permanent resident, which entails living in Hong Kong for a minimum of seven years. Isn't that a bit long to wait?

I was under the impression that once you receive a student visa you become a resident with a HKID. Is this incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    To be considered a "resident" for acceptance on a course means you are a permanent resident, which entails living in Hong Kong for a minimum of seven years. Isn't that a bit long to wait?
    more clarification is ...

In Hong Kong SAR you need a visa or entry permit to work, study, establish or join in any business or to take up residence. In essence a resident but with conditions of stay attached.

This website and direct quote below will help with defining: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_3_1.htm

"Ordinary residence
    A person is ordinarily resident in Hong Kong if: s/he remains in Hong Kong legally, voluntarily and for a settled purpose (such as for education, business, employment or residence etc.), whether of short or long duration. "

If an overseas student gains acceptance to a recognized HK university then the university can sponsor a visa. The HK government spends a hefty sum on attracting students from overseas to come and study in Hong Kong. This is just one website dedicated to recruit students: http://studyinhongkong.edu.hk/eng/

As Kyamato has clearly stated the stay in Hong Kong will be for study purposes. As long as the university sponsors the student visa and the immigration department accepts it then Kyamato will be a resident with conditions of stay.

To answer Kyamato's question - I suggest contacting immigration as to what they may suggest. http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/contactus.htm
    Last edited by Alby; 30-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

From the CUHK website refers to Hong Kong residents as:

Holders of Hong Kong Identity Card who do not need a student visa for studying in Hong Kong.
    Ergo, the OP would not be considered a Hong Kong Resident in this instance.