Applying HK ID card - in HK vs Overseas?

Closed Thread

Applying HK ID card - in HK vs Overseas?

I was born and raised by chinese parents in HK, but I left HK at age 20to Canada. I am now thinking of getting the HK ID card with right to abode, for ease of entry into & out of HK, and China (after getting the Return Home Permit later).

I just read thru the info of the HK Immigration Dept website. It appears that I have two alternatives: apply overseas, or apply in HK.

However, overseas application require a later reneral in HK: "A PIC issued to a person overseas will be valid for as long as the holder stays abroad. The card must be renewed within 30 days after the holder's return to Hong Kong unless he/she is still under the age of 11."

Overseas application is free, while a HK renewal will cost be over $300.

IS IT NOT CHEAPER & LESS HASSLE FOR ME TO APPLY IN HK, as I will be there later this year for a visit?

Thanks.

I'm confused here. If you were born and living in HK to age 20 then you must already have been issued with a HK PIC, and all you need to do is get it reissued as a SmartID card when you next visit HK. There is no charge for doing this that I know of.