Disadvantages of Becoming a Chinese Citizen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Disadvantages of Becoming a Chinese Citizen

Hi all, I am a Canadian citizen and am wondering if there are any disadvantages to becoming a Chinese citizen.

Thanks

Yes - you have to give up your Canadian citizenship.

why do you want to change your citzenship ? do you want to apply for a return home pass ( 回鄉証)? as well as a hk sar passport? or have you become disillusioned by canada?

do you have ROA in HK? If no, you wouldn't get a HKSAR passport, which means no visa-free entry to most countries. If you are eligible for a HKSAR passport, then I believe it wouldn't be too different. Just that you loose your right to consular assistance if you ever get into trouble in either HK or the mainland.

i have ROA/3* as well as ao on my hk id as i was born overseas (UK), however, i can not apply for HK sar passport or return home pass ( 回鄉証) ( i tried in 2007 but was refused).

But if you were naturalising as a Chinese citizen you could, whereas I - without ROA - could only get a mainland passport after naturalisation.
    But then, maybe you need to have ROA to naturalise at all...

I have ***AMO - I know *** is right to a return permit, A is right of abode and O is born in other countries. Any idea what M is?

Yes, I want HKSAR passport so I can get a return home permit to China... I was told by IMMD official thought that if I try to get HKSAR passport and am rejected, I could lose my *** !!!! Sounds risky then eh!?

Any thoughts?

I need to go to China for 3 months min, and the only other way I know is to go to CTS and come back to HK every month to renew the 1 month visa....

why that? Even I can get a one year multi-entry visa, and I'm just a foreign student?!?

I don't think I'd change my citizenship just for a tree month trip.....

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    I don't think I'd change my citizenship just for a three month trip.....
    Quote of the day!

i agree... sounds kind of silly to give up canadian citizenship (remember, you would then need to apply to work in canada!) in order to get a 3 month visa for china.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast