Possibly the most stupid visa question ever

Closed Thread

Possibly the most stupid visa question ever

So my friend is here on a Student Visa, and he has a HKID. When the visa comes in your passport, it reads 'valid for one entry', which he did when activating the visa. If he leaves HK is the ID card all he needs to re-enter and this won't invalidate his visa? (We want to take aquick trip to Macau). The reason I ask is that when we were in Japan it was necessary to obtain a re-entry permit if you wanted to leave and return on the same working/student visa (bascially a gaijin tax).
    I'm 99.999% sure that you don't need such a thing, but he's not inclined to risk it.

Can someone set my mind at rest?

It isn't a stupid question, but it is an old one - and I thought Immigration now added an extra sticker to make it clearer. You can leave and enter Hong Kong as many times as you like during the validity period of the visa - 'journey completed' actually means something more like 'visa activated'.

he has the HKID, right ? that is his re-entry permit. HKID, issued to HK residents (permanent or otherwise) shows you are a resident of Hk and gives you the right to enter Hk as many times as you want (within the validity period of your visa).