tourist visa trap

Closed Thread

tourist visa trap

Hi,
    Is it possible/easy to change my tourist visa to a working visa if i find teaching work during my stay in HK and the employer is willing to sponsor me?? if not would i have to leave the country and re-apply??
    Thanks
    RJ

I'm not sure if anyone can do it, but I'm a South African national and that's exactly what I've done. When I was still at home employers were hesitant to sponsor me because I wasn't physically in Hong Kong, so I had to come here with a holiday visa and then find work.

......and once in HK you managed to change visas without a problem??

My application is still being processed, so I can't say with certainty, but there doesn't seem to be a problem. Your employer should help you with any hiccups there might be.

Quote Originally Posted by elizej:
    My application is still being processed, so I can't say with certainty, but there doesn't seem to be a problem. Your employer should help you with any hiccups there might be.
    But you're working already right? In very many (not all, I know) cases this is a scam by the employer. They will come up with excuse after excuse as to why you don't have a visa. Then they will come up with excuse after excuse why they are delayed in paying you. Eventually, you'll give up and go home, poorer and wiser