Working Visa

Closed Thread

Working Visa

Im an expat who has relocated to Hong Kong, The company hired assumed me that i could still work for them whilist my work visa is in apllication, is this the case? or is this illegal> and is there any company (that can apply a working visa for foreigner) cause one of my friend had done it through a HR company that provide service for foreigner that would planning to work in HK, pls advice.

Takashi Mizoguchi

No that would be illegal and you are not meant to be doing any 'work' whilst on a tourist visa and until your employment visa has been granted and activated.

Moreover, you must apply for an Employment Visa with your employer as your Sponsor - they must provide all sorts of documentation to support the application (particularly if they haven't employed a foreigner before).

Having said all the above, which is 100% true, loads of people do it anyway (in my case because my company had no idea it was illegal, such was their appalling advisors).

so what is the procedure that i should do and is ther any company that u guys know out there...any advice

Advice is, try to comply with the law. If you risk losing a job you really want, or not getting paid etc, then try and comply with the law in a roundabout way - such as, getting a temporary contract with an overseas branch of the firm and working in HK on a "business trip" while your visa is being processed. Make sure your documentation backs you up - so your HK work contract specifies it does not start until you get ID; you are paid outside HK; you have a bona fide temporary agreement to cover the interim etc.

This is what we now do.