can i do volunteer work on a work visa?

Closed Thread

can i do volunteer work on a work visa?

Hi all,

If anyone can help me with this I'd be thrilled.

I have a working visa but am not sure of the restrictions in terms of doing other work - be that paid or unpaid.

I assume the visa relates only to the job I received it for. But also assume I can do unpaid work on the side and not get in trouble?

If anyone has any experience with this it'd be much appreciated.

In principle you cannot be "employed" by anyone other than the sponsor of your Employment Visa. But there's a grey area about what "employed" means. No-one is going to have any problem with you doing, say, a few hours up at Crossroads on a weekend, but if you spend more time volunteering at an organisation than you do at the work to which your visa relates then ImmD would likely be upset if they found out about it.

Moreover, it would need to be recognised volunteer charity work. ImmD aren't going to be fooled by you "volunteering" to work for an English teaching centre.

Last edited by PDLM; 16-02-2009 at 12:33 PM.

it'd be say eight hours a week, compared to 40 with the company my visa refers to.

the only thing is it won't be a charity, but another company. the only thing is i would be doing it free of charge because it's a company i want to end up working for - whether they'd believe that or not i dont know

Nope - that's well beyond what ImmD would regard as acceptable. If caught you're out (and the second company would also be fined).