On Tourist Visa but want to be here for a few years - help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool On Tourist Visa but want to be here for a few years - help!

I have come to live in HK with my partner who is on a work visa. As we are not married I have come in on a tourist Visa. I will be a 'housewife' as he is in a well paid stable job (no kids). I have no intention or need to work. I am concerned that as his job could well keep him here for 3 to 5 years, will Immigration keep on extending my Tourist Visa for that long? Anyone had experience of being rejected eventually? Will they expect us to get married and would that make it alright or make it worse in case they think we are doing it just to get a dependent visa?? We would get married if we had to - if it means I can stay for an extended period (we are committed) but would rather do it for other reasons!
    I am not sure I could get a dependant Visa with our common law situation anyway? We have been living together on our own boat in the Caribbean. Boat in his name, but paid for by me. That and our lengthy blogsite covering a year with pics and dated entries is about the only thing we have to prove our relationship. No utilities or joint bank accounts as no need on a boat! Before that we were living in his brothers holiday home in France, again no joint bills or any proof as such. Just pictures. Can't risk being kicked out/refused entry in ayear or so. ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Yes you can be kicked out for being here too long as a tourist, a couple of cases on here in the last few days.

No you can't get a dependent visa as partners, very conservative on that. However, you might be able to get an extended visa but not for 5 years.

If you get married and you have photos and stuff then I can't see there being a problem.

Just get married - no-one need know except the solicitor, two witnesses and Immigration (though it would be to your benefit for Inland Revenue to know also). You don't need to change your name, wear a ring or do anything differently.

>> very conservative on that

Just as conservative as most western countries who will not accept unmarried partners as dependents when it comes to immigration.

Hi, I have the same problem But I want to work here as well and that makes it even harder! I had no idea it is so conservative here... Good luck!

You used to live on a boat out in the sea before? How cool!
    Posted via Mobile Device

>> I had no idea it is so conservative here... Good luck!

And how liberal is it back home for someone in your status to emigrate?

In the UK,

they do accept common law couples....so compared to that Hk is conservative.....

>> they do accept common law couples....so compared to that Hk is conservative.....

And what about statements like this from various government websites?

Advice and Benefits - Arranging a Marriage

Does Common Law marriage exist?

No. Common Law marriage is a myth and does not actually exist.

Many people beleive that once you've been living with your partner for two years or more you get the same legal rights as married couples. This isn't true. In fact, you have very few rights.
    Which points to ..

LivingTogether - Advicenow

Despite popular belief, couples who live together have hardly any rights compared with married couples or civil partners. This article is an overview of what happens when unmarried couples split up or when one dies.
    I'd be very surprised if full immigration status was given to say, an Indian couple who claimed to be married under common law.

I've emailed the local high commission to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by mytimeoff
    In the UK,

they do accept common law couples....so compared to that Hk is conservative.....
    Yes but the UK will just about accept anybody!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast