'Adequate fund' to cover living in HK without working

Closed Thread

'Adequate fund' to cover living in HK without working

How much is considered the minimum amount of 'adequate fund to cover living in HK without working' for a 3 month stay the immigration is looking for? Can anyone give me an approx. figure, pls?

I'm from Thailand so I gets 30 days to stay in HK without visa but I'd like to stay for 3 months++ but not sure at least how much should I have in my bank account to show them for applying my visa
    Thanks a lot.

That means you'll have to do a visa run a few times though i.e leave hk for a day or so to get another 30 days, That in itself is risky as you will get pulled up especially on a Thai Passport.

Where will you be staying?
    What will you be doing here for 3 months?

Immigration will be asking you those questions and more so you're going to need to have a good answer.

Because of significant numbers of both male and female prostitutes from Thailand, the immigration officer might do some profiling and make life a bit difficult for you so it would be wise to have good reasons to come over, a return ticket and I'd say at least 30K if you don't want any hassles...

Accommodation is the big one. If you can show where you are staying, how much it costs and that you have sufficient to more than cover it, you should be about right. The rest just depends on how much you eat and if you are going to be doing much sightseeing etc.

thanks all.

I ll b staying wz my boyfriend who is also Thai, possesing a working permit and I hv him as a local sponsor in applying my 3 months visitor visa. He is working for a leading global advertising agency there in hk and he earns quite very well from it (approx 80K+ hkd). We hv been seeing each other for more than 5 yrs and no longer want distance relationship so we decided to hv me move there to his apt near victoria park in causeway bay. However, we wanna get married when we wanna get married rather than for a visa so I m applying for a visitor visa for now.

gilleshk, am i right u mean 30k hkd?

30k hkd for 3 months would b adequate?
    or u mean 30k usd?

thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by robomero:
    30k hkd for 3 months would b adequate?
    or u mean 30k usd?

thanks a lot
    30k HK is more than enough if you do not need to pay Rent.

and how do i do after a few visa runs to macau if i d like to stay there as long as he's still working there if we dun wanna get married? any advice pls?
    we had a thought of opening a small shop for me there but found out i need to hv at least 1M hkd to invest which i dun hv that much, plus i need to hv an HK partner which i can't think of anyone so can't go for investor visa for the next step. so current plan is i am to look after him and the house and may sell stuffs online to earn sm $.
    can i hv u guys's advices on how can i stay there in a long run for my case pls?

thanks a million.

A Visa run is pretty much the following.

Head to Macau for the day after say 27 days when you're on your tourist visa, When you come back to HK you'll get an extra 30 days.

You can't do it too often though otherwise they'll pull you up and start asking questions.

Technically its illegal to do any sort of work or even run an online business whilst on a tourist visa.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by robomero:
    can i hv u guys's advices on how can i stay there in a long run for my case pls?
    This question gets asked here regularly; your situation isn't any different. There is no magic way around the immigration law in Hong Kong.

Get married.
    Get a job.
    Invest.
    Enrol in education courses
    Do the visa run multiple times (and risk expulsion).