Help! Status of my working visa - Changing Citizenship While I am in HK

Closed Thread

Help! Status of my working visa - Changing Citizenship While I am in HK

Hi all, need some major help here. I am heading to HK to work for a euro bank. I have just obtained the employment visa. Currently I am a Chinese citizen; however I am in the process of becoming an U.S citizen, and most likely I will be a U.S citizen in 6 month (in about 6 month, I will fly back to U.S , swear in and change my citizenship). My question is what's going to happen to my working visa for HK, do I need to get a new visa when I become a U.S citizen. What is the standard procedure for this case?

Thanks a bunch.

You simply need to go to the Immigration department with your cancelled passport and your new one and they'll transfer your visa over to the new passport.

Make sure you have your Hong Kong ID card by then, to ensure that Immd has some common reference point (specially your fingerprints... if they really do need to verify your new identity )

Thanks a lot! That sounds easy enough
    Next I just need to find a livable place.

You probably don't need to do anything. Just use your Chinese passport to travel in and out of HK. Then, when you've done your 7 years, you can get a HKSAR Passport. That way you can keep your Chinese citizenship and avoid expensive visa charges. Just don't let the Chinese governmnet know you've got US Citizenship. (I once met a Chinese citizen who managed to get US and Irish citizenships without losing his Chinese passport -- I think he worked out how to work the system -- You should as well.