I am a BBC to HK parents who acquired ILR after my birth, am I eligible for a PIC?

Closed Thread

I am a BBC to HK parents who acquired ILR after my birth, am I eligible for a PIC?

Hi All,

I have looked for similar examples on the forum but they seem to relate to people who were born after their parents had acquired ILR in a foreign country.

I was born in 1986 in the UK and have a British passport, my parents were both born in HK and immigrated to the UK in 1983. However they did not acquire indefinite leave to remain until 1987 and then British citizenship in 1989.

I am unsure as how to interpret Article 5 of the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China regarding whether I am a Chinese national or not and would like some input on my eligibility for a PIC.

Any clarification would be extremely appreciated.

just send an email to immg dept. best way to find out in my opinion. you should be getting a reply from PDLM as well soon. He is the resident Immg Consultant on Geo Expat.

I'm not the expert on the OBC questions though - that's aritaurus or hairball.

virtually all bbc, abc, cbc, etc ( who parents are from hk, born before 97) can apply for HK id card, whether you get 3* (ROA or RTL) or not is another story.

*** is nothing to do with ROA or RTL.

I believe ILR is the British term for permanent residence, so if you were born before one of your parent got it, then you may have Chinese nationality and ROA.

Thanks for the call out PDLM

The question should be, were both of them on a limit of stay in the UK when you were born? (that appears to be the definition HK uses) If yes, then likely you would be Chinese and have ROA.

Thanks for your replies, it seems a little clearer now.

My parents have confirmed that they were on a 4 year UK work permit when they moved across. So therefore when i was born in '86 they were restricted to a "limit of stay".

So hopefully this will lead to me receiving a PIC by virtue of being a Chinese national.