E-channel at the airport

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

E-channel at the airport

Hi everyone!
    I'm a newby on this forum
    I would like you to excuse my english, I'm french so my english is not good at all

I have a question about the process at arrival and departure of the HK airport throught the e-channel.

I have a HKID and a HK passeport but I've never used it at the airport (I also have a french passport!).

I would like to know, if I use my HKID at the e-channel, do I need to show my HK passport too to the immigration officer when I arrived in HK?
    And, the same thing when I leave HK?
    I've never use the e-channel before so I have no idea on how it works?

thanks for the answers!

If you have an HKID already and use the e-channel, you don't need to show your passport to the immigration officer since there will be no immigration officer in front of the e-channel area whether going out of HK or coming in to HK. You just slide in your HKID into the card slot when in front of the e-channel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the answer!
    That was fast
    I didn't know there was no immigration officer in front of the e-channel!
    But, if I don't need my HK passport at the airport, when do I need it?
    Like if I go to china or macau, is it like in HK, i'll only need my HKID, no passport too?
    Because that would be easier and faster to use my HKID only than my french passport in fact
    There is e-channel too in china and macau?

Thanks again for the answers!

from the Immd website:
    Since 16 December 2004, the Immigration Department has introduced the automated passenger clearance system (e-Channels) to members of the public. All existing passenger control points have been installed with e-Channels, including Hong Kong International Airport, Hung Hom, Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Lok Ma Chau Spur Line, Man Kam To, Sha Tau Kok, Shenzhen Bay, China Ferry Terminal, Macau Ferry Terminal and Tuen Mun Ferry Terminal. Currently, Hong Kong permanent residents (except those under the age of 11) or Hong Kong residents holding Document of Identity for Visa Purposes (DI) can use their smart identity cards to perform self-service immigration clearance. Since 12 September 2006, e-Channel service has been extended to people who have the right to land or are on unconditional stay in Hong Kong, and non-permanent residents who have been issued with a notification label. Since 18 December 2007, e-Channel service has been further extended to cross-boundary primary school students under the age of 11 at Lo Wu Control Point. From 19 May 2008 onwards, eligible frequent visitors can enjoy e-Channel service at the Airport Control Point. Meanwhile, please note that Hong Kong residents must bring along with them their valid travel documents when travelling.

So yes, the border crossings into China and the Ferry terminals in Hong (which contain the Hong Kong immigration control points you will clear to travel to China/Macau) have e-channel services as well...

Last edited by timklip; 16-03-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Ok, at the airport, only need my HKID at arrival and departure and for China and Macau, need my HKID + my HK passport!
    And by the way, I've just read somewhere that there is a re-entry permit! Is it something like the passport?

no... re-read the prev. post. HK Immd suggests you bring your travel documents to ALL border control points (including air, train, ferry, bus) possibly in case there is a technical problem with your ID card and you have to use the manned checkpoint...better safe than sorry right?

for example, i have on occasion used the manned control points (carrying my daughter, who can't use e channel yet) and then I'm always asked for my passport and ID card

Last edited by timklip; 16-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

A couple of points
    Do you have a smart identity card?
    the one with the chip?
    all others redundant and have to be replaced.
    You appear to have both a Hk[BNO?] and a French passport, which is a no no so best to keep one at home when coming here.

I have a smart ID (the one with a chip)and the HK passport!
    But i don't have a re-entry permit which i think is necessary if i want to go to Macau (i'm not sure) and China!
    why is it not a good idea to keep my french passport at home when coming to HK?
    i was just wondering which is the best: use my HKID and my HK passport or my french passport?
    because, i have some friends who said that, using the smartcart at the airport's e-channel is faster.
    Some said that they only use their HKID and others who said that they use their HKDI and their HK passport!

I'm sorry for asking so much questions by the way...

You can use your HKID card to visit Macau (since you hvae right of abode). But you have to get a Home Return Permit to visit mainland China.

Going back to HK, using either a HKID card or HKSAR passport is acceptable. The ID card is faster as you can use the e-channel. You don't need to have a "re-entry permit" if you have *** on your HKID card.

You should bring your French passport with you as you'll need it to go back to France.

Remember, at all borders there are TWO borders to cross.

One is HK border, the other is the border of where-ever you are going.

So, if you are flying somewhere, you will need your passport for the border of the arriving country - same for trains and ferries. Listen to the others for what you need for each place ...

The HK ID card is only really useful for the HK border (possibly Macau, as noted) and it allows you to enter and leave HK quickly. Slide in the slot, remember to take it back again!, walk forward into the gate, put your thumb on the reader when requested (REMEMBER TO TAKE IT OFF AGAIN - THIS SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM SOME PEOPLE HAVE!) and then the doors open. Simple. Even if there is a long queue it goes really fast so it is worth it (and normally there is no queue at all).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast