another china multiple entry visa question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question another china multiple entry visa question

hi, i think the answer is going to be negative, but just want to double check.

my work visa runs out in feb 2010 and my six month china visa has just run out.

now, can i apply for a 12 month china visa notwithstanding my work visa runs out in less than 12 months time?

or can i only apply for a 6 month visa.

i think the answer is the later, but just want to double check.

thanks!

I think your best bet is to go in and apply for the 12 month, cross your fingers, and accept you might end up with a 6 month....

You can apply for whatever you like!

I had a single-entry visa, then a double-entry one, then applied for a 12 month visa. They called me a couple of hours after I applied to let me know that they might only be able to give me a 6 month visa, since I had less than 12 months left on my at-the-time HK work visa. The woman helpfully asked, if they could only give me a 6 month visa, would I prefer to cancel, or take the 6 months - I said I'd take whatever they could give me, and when I went to collect it, I had a 12 month sticker. My work visa ran out July '08, my China visa ran out January '09, so there was quite a gap...

thanks both of you!! btw moving, you applied to the office in wanchai directly didn't you? was the process ok? for application i will probably be going at lunch time. good idea or not?

Oh, another question. My present six month visa is a "J" visa, because I got work to do it (but they just sent it to an agent who charged quite a bit, hence me wanting to do it by myself this time).

Should I apply for another "J" visa, or should I go for an "L" visa, or does it not matter?

Last edited by pin; 17-03-2009 at 05:37 PM.

I went to the office in Wanchai too, but since they're closed between 12 and 2, I wouldn't really recommend going at lunchtime... I doubt you'd have much trouble getting an 'L' visa, to be honest, unless there's some complication.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I went to the office in Wanchai too, but since they're closed between 12 and 2, I wouldn't really recommend going at lunchtime... I doubt you'd have much trouble getting an 'L' visa, to be honest, unless there's some complication.
    ah didn't know they were shut at lunch, bit of a spanner in the works. thanks for the info though.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    hi, i think the answer is going to be negative, but just want to double check.

my work visa runs out in feb 2010 and my six month china visa has just run out.

now, can i apply for a 12 month china visa notwithstanding my work visa runs out in less than 12 months time?

or can i only apply for a 6 month visa.

i think the answer is the later, but just want to double check.

thanks!
    I don't think the two are connected if you mean your HK work visa runs out in Feb.

My work visa runs out a number of months before my 1 year Multiple China visa based on when I applied for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    thanks both of you!! btw moving, you applied to the office in wanchai directly didn't you? was the process ok? for application i will probably be going at lunch time. good idea or not?
    I found that the day of the week was more important than time of day - I would NOT go first thing ... everyone queues up before the office opened but when I came out there was no queue at all! So around 10am - 11am is a good time. Also NOT Mondays - I got advice that Thursday was a good day and it certainly worked for me.

The only thing with applying in person is make sure you have all your stuff with you - photos; passport (+copy); ID card (+copy); filled in form etc. Then just join the queue and shuffle forward - cant go wrong really. Took about 20 mins to submit and 10 mins to pick up.

Are 1 year multiple entry visa's still possible?

Reason I ask is that I was out with some people last night and one of them said that he tried getting a year visa a few weeks ago and was told you can only get 6 month visa's (btw he's canadian with HKID and was applying for an "L" visa). I know this is second hand info, was just wondering if anyone else has had experience recently on getting a year visa.

You mean permanent HKID? Generally (that is what the lady at the liaison office told me when I got my 6m multi entry visa), I could get a multi-entry for china for the same period of time that my HK student visa was valid. I.e. for perm HKID holders it should be up to three years. Some travel agencies, however, only handle 6m and shorter.

I enquired beforehand through the email address on this site and got an reply within 24h. Would recommend you to do the same since they appear to change the rules rather randomly.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast