7 day Visa. when exatcly to leave

Closed Thread

7 day Visa. when exatcly to leave

Hi All,

My friend entered HK on 24th March and has a 7 day visa. Now he plans to leave on 30th Mar (shich is the 7th day ) and the flight goes visa bangkok to Iran. Flight leaves at 5 pm in the evening

I think it should be Ok from immigration point of view since 30th is the 7th day after 24th mar. Am i right?

What if the flight gets delayed or gets cancelled for some reason (there is only one flight on that day), would that cause any issue as the visa will expire on 30th? the next flight is on 1st april. what is the normal procedure in such case?
    do you think the guys at thai airport can cause some issue too? altough its just 2 hours transit there.

Pls help.

Thanks!

If everything goes as planned then no problem. In fact he can stay until the 31st (ImmD don't count the day of arrival). See the below quote from an email I received from ImmD when I enquired with this exact question:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Expiry of the limit of stay is to be counted from the day after the date
    of entry. A visitor is required to leave Hong Kong on or before the
    limit of stay expires. For example, if a visitor arrived Hong Kong on
    1 January 2006 and was permitted to  remain for seven days from date of entry, he will be permitted to remain until 8 January 2006.

I hope the information is of useful.

Best regards,

P T AU YEUNG
    for Director of Immigration
    If the flight is cancelled then he should simply approach ImmD (either at the airport or in Wanchai, depending on where he is when he finds out that it is cancelled / delayed, explain the situation (with evidence of his reservation on the cancelled/delayed flight) and I'm sure ImmD will grant him the necessary extension.

24+7 = 31MAX
    Mar 24+14days = April the 7th Max

if the flight is delayed just say for the next day & still he is already beyond immig. then it would still be OK but if he has to go out coz of cancellation he should show proof of the rescheduled flight.

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    24+7 = 31MAX
    Mar 24+14days = April the 7th Max

if the flight is delayed just say for the next day & still he is already beyond immig. then it would still be OK but if he has to go out coz of cancellation he should show proof of the rescheduled flight.
    Thanks. Seems that this should be fine then.
    Just to clarify, 24 th Mar is entry and visa is valid for 7 days, so is it till 30th Mar or 31st mar?

Thanks!

Two of us have said it as clearly as we can. If he entered on the 24th March then he must exit before midnight at the end of 31st March.

And, by the way, why does the same person appear to be posting from two aliases? Is that allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Two of us have said it as clearly as we can. If he entered on the 24th March then he must exit before midnight at the end of 31st March.

And, by the way, why does the same person appear to be posting from two aliases? Is that allowed?
    i thinks that should not be allowed, having 2 nics....but then again the 2nd guy could be the guy that the first one is talking about

Thanks !

PDLM, firstly i just wanted to make it absolutely sure and thats why asked again just in case someone else's opinion differed

secondly fyi, the other ID is my flatmate's (a friend) and the person person we were asking for is a common friend.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

You also asked about Thai airport. Unless something's changed in the last year, Bangkok has never required transit visas for international through-passengers, airlines don't look out for it at check-in for a transit connection via BKK, and there are no Immigration officers to encounter at transit. There's even provision for visa on arrival at the airport against payment if a passenger needs it to enter Thailand past Immigration. So s/b no worries on that count (still, your friend could always call the airline or Thai consulate in HK to reconfirm).