3 year rule on HK ID Card

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    The only people that actually own the land is Govt, People out in NT (Local Villagers) and the Big Developers.
    No, land in Hong Kong is owned by the State (see Article 7 of the Basic Law).

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    No, land in Hong Kong is owned by the State (see Article 7 of the Basic Law).
    why do they have land auctions where big developers fork out billions to develop. I know that the property owners still have to pay Govt rates quarterly but if you the state owns the land then whats the point of have land auctions.

Also villagers out in the NT, doesnt the govt give them land so that they can build houses etc.

Just curious.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Technically the "land sales" are auctions for the lease and the right to develop the land, subject to deed hence the problems with Time Square, etc. Owners of the buildings on the land are liable to pay Government rent under their land leases. Those in the NT lease the land to build on.

... unless you believe the Basic Law is wrong.

Technically the "land sales" are auctions for the lease and the right to develop the land, subject to deed hence the problems with Time Square, etc. Owners of the buildings on the land are liable to pay Government rent under their land leases. Those in the NT lease the land to build on.

Thanks Claire for the info.

Exactly right. To elaborate, in multi-property developments (e.g., apartment blocks) each owner typically has a share in the (leased) land and exclusive right to the individual unit (with the exact relationship between the various property owners governed by a Deed of Mutual Covenant).

I think the confusion arises because the poster misunderstood the use of "Land" in "Right to Land". It doesn't have anything to do with owing property in any sense. It means that the bearer has the right to arrive in HK and be granted access (landing in the sense of a plane) without any visa.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think the confusion arises because the poster misunderstood the use of "Land" in "Right to Land".
    Yeah, was scratching head - wondering how the first OP's topic suddenly switched from the abstract "right to land" (ROL) to concrete "property"...

Another one swiftly sorted.

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think the confusion arises because the poster misunderstood the use of "Land" in "Right to Land". It doesn't have anything to do with owing property in any sense. It means that the bearer has the right to arrive in HK and be granted access (landing in the sense of a plane) without any visa.
    Yes, I think Claire, wtbhotia, and I are all aware of that - this was just a side discussion.

Clearing up my question

thanks now i know what RTL is. But i must now clear up my question.

My farther has land in his village in the NT (New Territories), later on when i inherit it or need to take control of it, can i do so without being a Permanent Residence which is same as enjoying a ROA 3*** on my ID Card?

Cause i might postpone my trip back, till after 36 months since i was last in HK.

Thanks

It might depend on how the contracts are written up. From what I have found, villages seem to have a lot of funny rules.

But generally I think whether or not one can inherit property is not dependent on your immigration status.