Dependants Visa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Could you transfer the savings into joint names so enabling her to show she can support you? I know it's ridiculous but it would get round the bureaucracy.

In terms of benefits, as a dependent with a HKID you would be entitled to an almost free hospital service so there is a least one benefit.

Could you transfer the savings into joint names so enabling her to show she can support you? I know it's ridiculous but it would get round the bureaucracy.

Good thinking! Anyone know what kind of amount of money would satisfy them? Although I've a fair bit by our frugal living standards, it might not be seen as a lot by immigration.

In terms of benefits, as a dependent with a HKID you would be entitled to an almost free hospital service so there is a least one benefit.

Pretty good eh! Incidently this is yet another pro to getting married soon. However it still doesn't really answer any questions as I would use their health services whether my wife-to-be could support me financially or not. Surely a medical assessment would be more appropriate if their health service is the only thing I can take advantage of after getting a dependant visa!

I could be wrong, please correct me if I am, but I thought the financial situation/proof is to show that you can provide for a nonworking spouse; that they will not have to get a job.

This sounds promising.. so do you mean that you think financial proof is not required if you have the type of dependants visa which enables you to work in HK?

I had not realised there were different types of dependant visa based on what ID card status the sponsoring person has. Presumably someone with a dependant visa from a sponsor with a full on HKID card would have right to work, whereas maybe someone who's sponsor is a student here, or on a work visa does not have the right to work?

*So can anyone else chip in.. if you get a dependant visa from marrying a local, and thus obtain the right to work, is there still a financial assessment?

at one time, a dependent of an Employment Visa holder could not work..that has been amended so that now the dep. can also work

a dependent of a Study Visa holder cannot work unless special permission has been granted by Immd.

from Immigration Department

II. Eligibility Criteria

3. For a sponsor who is a Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. a resident with the right to land or on unconditional stay), the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in the HKSAR:

1. his/her spouse;
    2. his/her unmarried dependent child under the age of 18; and
    3. his/her parent aged 60 or above.

4. For a sponsor who has been admitted into the HKSAR to take up employment (as a professional, for investment to establish/join in business, or for training) or studies (in a full-time undergraduate or post-graduate programme in a local degree-awarding institution), or who is permitted to remain in the HKSAR as an entrant under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme or the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme, the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in the HKSAR:

1. his/her spouse; and
    2. his/her unmarried dependent child under the age of 18.

5. An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:

1. there is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
    2. there is no known record to the detriment of the applicant; and
    3. the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR.

i would ballpark the minimum amount at 20k per month...well above what many local families subsist on...

Last edited by timklip; 27-03-2009 at 12:48 AM.

So it seems showing financial evidence my spouse can support me is a requirement generally whatever type of HKID card she possesses d'oh

yes..that is the obligation of any sponsor of a dep. visa; and ignore the spammer above...you don't need an agent to obtain the visa...just check the link in my previous post, download the app., collect your documentation and do the whole process yourself..very straightforward

Last edited by timklip; 27-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Not a clever spammer were they

Yeh, it does seem very straightforward to do it yourself so I would not go to an agent to get it done.

The trouble is, my 'sponsor'/partner is unemployed having not been in HK very long, so basically I am trying to find out if our application would stand any chance with her financial situation, or if it'd be given a 'Declined' stamp instantly.

To answer your question about savings, given that the income test is $20K/month and the length of the visa they would give you in the first instance is 12 months, then I would guess that HK$250,000 (about GBP 20,000) or more would at least be arguably enough.

Unfortunately we don't have close to that much in savings.

I can't understand why the income test would be so high. Apparently your average straight out of uni graduate here earns roughly 10k per month, and what about the many, many families here that earn less than that and still get by. If I am applying to become the dependant of a full HK citizen I don't see why I would need to be kept at a far higher standard of living than locals.

So, basically only rich Hong Kongers can marry foreigners and live together here. Does this not strike any of you as strange?

The thing is that almost nobody earning $10K/month lives on their own. Half decent accommodation costs that much unless you are a very long way out in the sticks. The median household income is HK$20K/month. You are being held to the same standard given that you are Dependant on one other person only.

If you don't have close to GBP20K in savings then you seem to be cutting things a bit fine here. I can't see how two of you could be burning less than about GBP1200/month (HK$14000) including accommodation, you need to keep the last thousand aside to pay for your airfares back, and there are plenty of qualified people here looking for work. As your g/f has learnt, you can't just assume that you will find a job in a few weeks.

And as I understand it, your g/f is not a Chinese Citizen of Hong Kong.

Whinging isn't going to help your case, either here or with ImmD.

Last edited by PDLM; 27-03-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Wasn't whinging PDLM, just commenting on something I thought was a bit odd!

Well everyone has different standards, and as it goes $10k would do me just fine with our rent and bills as they are. If my partner had a job too then it would be pretty comfortable. I'm sure that even though it seems we have lower standards than many foreigners, they are still higher than many of the real locals too. But this is beside the point of my post really, as I am not worried about savings, and also not expecting to have a job in a matter of weeks.

Am going to speak to immigration today and will update the thread for anyone else wondering