Dependants Visa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Forgot to add.. I didn't necessarily mean a Chinese citizen. To be honest I find all the different levels of status a bit confusing at the moment. What I meant is she has indefinite right to abode, there are no conditions to it.

Try going the other way - that is if you are a British Citizen trying to bring your bf/gf into the UK. Not simple or cheap.

Yeh, can imagine

Good thing it isn't other way around

Just got off phone to immigration. Generally the woman I spoke to was quite robotic, reading word for word what it already said off the website, and being extremely vague about anything I asked which isn't mentioned on their website.

However I learned a few interesting things from the call:

1) I can submit proof of my own savings/finances to show I can support myself, and not be a burden to the HK Gov.

2) When asked about the income my sponsor would need to sponsor me, she said "There is no set amount at all. But take for consideration that sponsors applying to bring a domestic helper into HK are required to have an income of $15k". Now in my eyes, seeing as someone applying to bring in a domestic helper has to give them a bed, feed them, pay for their return flights (I think..), and pay them a salary on top of all this, I can only imagine that the amount needed to sponsor a dependent is less than $15k. Maybe even $10k.

3) When asked if my application would be turned down point blank if my partner has no job and no savings, I was told only that it would not help my case. So I guess it is still possible.

4) I was told that if I had a conditional job offer based on my getting my dependent visa through, that I could submit this to aid the application.

An additional data point here. I have a friend of a friend who gained HK PR several years ago (from 7 years as a dependant of her parents, also now PRs). She subsequently returned to The Philippines, where she had been born, got married and had two children. She returned to HK and is living with her parents. She works in the F&B industry with a salary of little under HK$10K/month. She applied first for dependant visas for her children to join her, and these were granted. When it was convenient for her husband to move over she applied for a Dependant Visa for him too, but this was rejected. She has reapplied every year for a few years now, with the same result.

So it is the case that spouses of Permanent Residents are unable to join their spouses here.

But, I suspect (regretfully), not if you're white.

Last edited by PDLM; 28-04-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Lesson: Kids can live on a small salary, husbands cannot?

Maybe it's because the $10k is already stretched to 3 people so adding another person to that would make it even tighter?
    I wonder if they would of gave the husband the visa is no children were involved but I agree, I'd imagine colour probably came into the decision at some point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3