7 years for per. HKID

Closed Thread

7 years for per. HKID

Hi, I have been working in hk for the last 6 years and 7 months and i would like to know if i can apply for permanent HKID now or 7 years is must before submitting the application. I appreciate your dvice.:

You must have been living in Hong Kong, legally (i.e. with a visa permitting residence) continuously for 7 years on the day that you submit the application. Time spent here as a visitor does not count towards the 7 years.

see point 'd.' on this page for the exact position of the govt...you can apply the day after you complete 7 years of legal residence; and your Permanent status begins only after you have been approved...

Last edited by timklip; 29-03-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abtow:
    Hi, I have been working in hk for the last 6 years and 7 months and i would like to know if i can apply for permanent HKID now or 7 years is must before submitting the application. I appreciate your dvice.:
    Thanks guys for the info, 5 months to go, not very long time to wait provided if i stll keep my job!!!!!1

If your Employment Visa extends already beyond the 7 years then you're safe. Unfortunately, many of them run out at 7 years. In this case you have to apply for an extension to you Employment Visa a few weeks before it expires, knowing that on day 1 of you new extended visa you will apply for PR. Note that PR takes quite a few weeks to be granted, even once you have submitted all the documentation (tax returns, property leases, utility bills, passport copies, etc etc) to ImmD's satisfaction.

I will have completed 7 full years in HK on 7-Dec-2010, which is when my current work visa expires.

My employer is making me redundant on 30-Sep-2010.

What I'm wondering is if I can apply for PR on the day my work visa expires, then leave HK and return on a tourist visa after the 7-Dec-2010 and still get my PR approved by Immigration?

i think most of the advice given here is more general in nature..for specific cases like yours tony, you would be better off asking immigration directly

in the meantime, are you planning to look for work when your present job is over (or even now, discretely, since you know about your future situation)? that would seem to be the logical first step - to extend your Emp. visa past the 7 years, rather than hope for a positive outcome to the scenario you are suggesting...

Last edited by timklip; 01-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.

exactly u have about a year and half before u lose your job, Hopefully the economy will pick up and u could find another job

best of luck

Well I'm going to be holding out until Sept 2010 to get my redundancy payout. Probably start looking around for work 2 month's before that.

Yes, hopefully the market will have improved.

Ideally I'd like to get a job offer during my last month of employment, but maybe I'm dreaming there, who knows...

Wow. You know a year and a half in advance that you'll be made redundant??

To be on the safe side, I'd just enroll in a language class at on of the universities. Should easily get you a four month visa, which counts towards residency. Or apply for QMAS - it's said to be very bureaucratic but it appears that you've got all the time someone could need....