Partner getting visa. How can I get a visa?

Smile Partner getting visa. How can I get a visa?

I am a New Zealand born citizen with a British passport. I have a masters degree and have worked in mainly HR but also mediation for many years. My partner could be in the process of being appointed to a position in Hong Kong for 2 years.
    Can I get a visa/work permit for that period? If so under what circumstances.
    Alternatively can I get a visitors visa for that duration?

Matthewsdad:

Last edited by matthewsdad; 03-04-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Add info

If your partner is your legally married wife, you can get a dependent visa.

If you can find a job that will sponsor you, you can get an employment visa.

With a British passport, you can come as a visitor for 180 days, and probably swing at least one "visa run" to renew it.

What you cannot get is a dependent visa if you are not married to your partner.... in which case most of the folks on here will just jump in and tell you to get married .

Best bet is probably a long term visitor while looking for a job (I should add this is technically illegal but if you are white nobody seems to care). If you fancy teaching english, you can get some training and try for a (low paid if no experience) job just to get the visa. Or look for a job in your own field but I guess HR might need Cantonese ? As everywhere, jobs are not falling off trees right now.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 04-04-2009 at 08:25 AM.

The major global firms have expats in senior HR roles along with top local talent filling top spots with local talent filling the balance of the jobs. If you are senior in HR and not been out of the HR mix for too long then it'd be fair to say you could challenge for those jobs. However, I keep thinking to those expats I meet regularly in HR and seemingly many have been here for a long time and many were simply posted here from whereever they came.

Mediation is not something I am as familiar with here but if you have a long term visitor visa then perhaps exploring this in consultation with some local mediators or law firms. I am not sure of the qualifications here for mediators but HK has an active mediation centre. I assume it depends on what kind of mediation you are doing - family or insurance/business etc.

Like Moving says, you will soon be told to get married as then it means you can get a dependent visa and you can then do whatever you want workwise or opening a business.

Like Movingin says jobs are not falling off the trees so much right now as many good expats have been moving out recently.

Trying visa runs for two years is not worth the risk as they could force you to go to the airport and head home.

Last edited by Football16; 04-04-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Teach English for the visa, then switch jobs?

Hi there, I'm one of the many on this site who's just moved to Hong Kong for love...and am now unemployed. I've been working in Marketing for the past 3 years and have been applying to jobs in my field, but I don't speak any Chinese dialect.

Have taught English before and working on my TEFL cert. now. Is it possible to find a job as an English teacher just to get the visa underway and then switch before the contract/visa ends once I find a job in my field? I'm sure the new employer would have to sponsor a new visa...

Just curious about this method to buy me time in the country.

Thanks,
    Brandi

The visa goes with the job - no job, no visa. But that does not mean you couldn't search for a new job while in the last few months of the teaching contract.

matthewsdad> if you have the funds, you could apply for an investment visa as well

Further info regarding visas

My partner is being shortlisted for a teaching position in Hong Kong - teaching english in primary schools. She is a very good teacher and relates extremely well to people of other cultures. She has wanted to do this for some time and would be a real asset. I don't want her to decline the opportunity if she thinks it is too risky for me.
    To get an investment visa what do you need.
    To teach english as a tutor do you need a teaching qualification initially such as TESOL? If so where is the best place to get them. If not initially necessary can they be obtained in Hong Kong. I presume that if I got a tutor position that would mean that I would need an employer to sponsor a work visa.
    For HR jobs what types of organisations take people on in HR if cannot speak Cantonese or Putonghua.? What are the chances like in that field?
    Mediation doesn't sound much of an option.
    As I have a British passport I can have a 6 month visitors visa. What are the chances like of getting 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th renewals?

Really appreciate your help.

Regards

Matthewsdad

Investment visa is most likely also out of the questions, since it requires you to invest about HK$7million in hk for 7 years, if im not mistaking.

you are mistaken I'm afraid...read the link I posted

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    Investment visa is most likely also out of the questions, since it requires you to invest about HK$7million in hk for 7 years, if im not mistaking.
    You are mistaken. Investment Visas and the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme are different things.