Moving back to HongKong

Closed Thread

Moving back to HongKong

Dear Friends,

I have an unusual immigration question regarding re-gaining permanent residency in HK and I hope someone can help me answer my question. Thank you all so much.

I am born in Australia but I grew up in Hong Kong for about 17 years and left Hong Kong around 1994 to attend University in the US and I have lived and worked there ever since. At this moment I am interested to move back to Hong Kong and I was wondering given the following situation below if I can be eligible to re-claim permanent residency in HK. Is it possible? Procedure?

1) I have an old permanent HK ID card issued prior to the changeover which expired around 1994.

2) I attended primary and secondary school in HK and my parents (both Non-Chinese and "not born in HK" hold permanent residency in HK). I do speak Cantonese fluently. I am 32 years old and married.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

It seems to me that this information is directly relevant to your situation: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

I believe that you have lost your status as a permanent resident, but you will automatically acquire what they call the Right to Land (RTL) in its place. There is little practical difference between being a permanent resident (that is, having Right of Abode) and having the RTL. With the RTL, you can still live, work, and study freely in HK -- the only real differences are that you can't vote, and you can be deported if you commit serious crimes.

After another 7 years in HK, you can re-apply for a permanent identity card if you like. But, again, there's little practical difference.

You should be eligible for the right to land since you had the Right of Abode in Hong Kong before 1997 assuming that you have not returned to Hong Kong every 36 months since you left.

I'd send an e-mail to the immigration department to make sure but I'm pretty sure that's what you're eligible for since you're not a Chinese national but acquired the Right of Abode through seven years of residency.

With the Right to Land, you'll be able to live, work and study in Hong Kong without restriction, just that you won't be able to vote and you may be deported if you commit any serious offenses.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 06-04-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Yeah I think you'd likely have RTL, unless you went to HK every 3 years after 1997 to maintain the ROA.

You can just go back whenever, and bring in your old ID card with you, and enter HK as a resident. If it's out of date, they'd make you just get a new one.

I would like to Thank you all very much....you posts very clear and they completely make sense. Yeah, in my situation I did not return to HK every 3 years so I lost my residency as I was not born in HK. So may I just ask a follow up question:

1)Do I just take my old HK permanenet ID card to the Immigration Department in HK and I will immediately be issued a RTL HK ID card or do I apply for it from overseas or do I enter HK with my US passport and then declare my intention to immigrate to HK at the airport to the immigration officer?

2) Do you think, I would be asked for additional proof of my residency in HK (I was there was there for at least 17 years)

**Sorry for these questions. It just seems you all know the answers so well...I almost feel I am contacting the immigration dept...lol.

Thanks again very much!

From recollection upon showing your old style HKPIC at Immigration they will say you cannot enter HK using your ID as it is now obsolete, but will ask you to enter with your passport as a visitor instead. (happened to my mum)

You are then advised by Immigration to go to any Registration of Persons Office and get it updated to the SmartID, you have 30 days to do.

The whole process will take approx 10 working days to collect your new SmartID, but you are issued with a Temp ID (paper) in the meatime.

You can make a booking online to coincide with your return.
    GovHK: Online Appointment Booking for Hong Kong Smart Identity Card