How will immigration verify my diploma?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How will immigration verify my diploma?

I'm 47 years old and i've graduated from university 20 years ago. But now, the Hong Kong immigration wants a copy of my diploma (which I left in the USA) from Columbia University so they can process my Working visa.

I will get it faxed over to them, but I want to know how they will verify it? I lost my student ID number years ago.

Why can't they just call them up and ask. I don't understand why I need to fax it over to them.

Thanks,

Eugene

why are you so concern on how will they verify... as long as you're legit then you dont need to worry about a thing...

Schools have copy of all your records and you dont need to worry even if you lost all your records...

Because the diploma is at home. I'm in Hong Kong...so it's a hassle to send my house key to a friend just so they can find it, grab it, and fax it.

Why can't immigration just call up the school and check?

It's faster isn't it?

Why don't you phone your school and get them to send a you copy? (That's what I did in a similar situation some years ago).

Good idea PDLM...but it will take a couple weeks, I need to submit it within the week my sponsor is submitting their info.

Why doesn't immigration just phone up the school themselves. They are going to check anyways...it's faster and I don't understand the need for repetitive work.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenelee:
    Good idea PDLM...but it will take a couple weeks
    Why? Doesn't your school have a scanner or a fax machine?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Why? Doesn't your school have a scanner or a fax machine?
    Having a sister who works in administration for a U.S. university, I can state that the general policy is for a former student to request the diploma, whereupon the school will send the diploma to the student's address. Their policy is to not send scans or faxes.

Trying to get a transcript from my U.S. university was almost as full of bureaucratic nonsense as that of my Chinese university. One can only imagine that the process for a diploma would be more arduous.

Well OK, but mail from the US to HK takes 3-4 days doesn't it?

I'm not sure how long it takes...but i'm sure that the registrars office will take 3 - 4 days just to process.

*Sigh*

This will not help you now but .... I've now scanned every "important" document I can think of (passports, birth/marriage certificate, every Olevel, Alevel, degree etc, ID card, driving licences etc etc) and saved on my pc. Might be worth doing in the future to save this hassle....

I do know what you mean though. In the uK, NOBODY takes a blind bit of notice of these pieces of paper - never needed them for university entrance, job interviews or anything. However, the minute I left the UK, EVERYONE wanted them - Aussie immigration, HK immigration, various jobs ... very strange. I guess it's cultural.....

Getting a scanned copy is your best bet. Why not ring your school first and see what they say .. if that does not work, then get a friend to rummage through your stuff at home....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast