HK Permanent ID Card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HK Permanent ID Card

Hi, hope someone can help clear up my query. My sister has a permanent HK ID card but i was not applicable for it. I have just the normal HK ID card...why is that? My parents both have permanent ones too. I was quite young when this was all done so i actually have no clue and they never fully explained it all. Im quite embarassed that this might be a really stupid question and that the answer is common sense...

Seeing as i am moving over in less than 2 months, i thought i needed to get some more info. Also pls could someone advise the differences between ROA and RTL? I assume i have the latter, does this mean i definitely dont require a work permit? I had a moment of panic the other day as i wasnt too sure!

Thanks in advance

What are the letters on your HK ID card? Does it have "R" for right to land? (if that is what you have) Where were you born?

If you do have an "R" for right to land, then you can live and work in Hong Kong without restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    What are the letters on your HK ID card? Does it have "R" for right to land? (if that is what you have) Where were you born?

If you do have an "R" for right to land, then you can live and work in Hong Kong without restriction.
    I have R and O...what does the O stand for? Also i was born in England. My sister/parents have 3 * and letters A, Z on their card. Thats a relief about the working issue though, thanks for letting me know!

O means born outside Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China.

Z means born in Hong Kong, so that means your parents and sister were born in Hong Kong. And *** means eligibility for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit, meaning they are most likely Chinese citizens. Essentially they can get a HKSAR passport and home return permit for mainland China.

However, you are not a Chinese citizen. But with right to land you can live and work in HK.

R means Right to Land. O means born overseas. A means right of Abode, Z means born in Hong Kong. The *** means, roughly (it's more complex than this), that at the time of their birth they were Chinese citizens.

The only difference between your rights and theirs is that they can vote, and you can be deported for serious offences. And their children, if born in Hong Kong, would have more rights than yours.

I beat you by 4 minutes PDLM

thanks for the info guys...however still a bit confused as my sister like me was born in England

here is the official explanation of the markings on the front of your smart ID card

Quote Originally Posted by shesarainbow:
    thanks for the info guys...however still a bit confused as my sister like me was born in England
    But you said earlier that her ID card had AZ on it which meant she was born in HK.

Do you mean she has AO and you have RO? If your sister is older than you and she has AO and 3* status, it could be that she was born in the UK before your parents naturalised as UK citizens, and you were born after making you eligible only for RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Swell:
    But you said earlier that her ID card had AZ on it which meant she was born in HK.

Do you mean she has AO and you have RO? If your sister is older than you and she has AO and 3* status, it could be that she was born in the UK before your parents naturalised as UK citizens, and you were born after making you eligible only for RO.
    Hey, yes you are right...i checked and she has AO. Sorry my error!!
    You are right, i managed to get some sense out of my parents. Apparently they officially became UK citizens exactly the day before i was born so i just missed out on AO status, how random is that

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast