Extension of Stay after Work Visa Expired

Closed Thread

Extension of Stay after Work Visa Expired

I am not employed right now, and my work visa will expire in August. However, I would like to remain in Hong Kong so I can look for new jobs. I don't want to come in as a visitor because my stay would be too short under that condition. Also because I would like to stay here continuously for 7 years to obtain permanent status. Is there any way I can ask the immigration department for at least a 3-month extension of my work visa to give me enough time to look for a job? Thanks.

I think that there's a very short answer to that: No.

If you haven't been able to find a job in 4+ months between when you became unemployed and August then why would ImmD believe that another 3 months would help?

They might give you visitor status, but then you're not a resident and you lose the PR option.

Thanks for the quick reply, PDLM. I've already applied for QMAS a few days ago. But I am afraid I will not be granted the visa before my work visa expires August 20th. So really, I need a "bridge" between my expiring work visa, and my potential new QMAS visa. Is there any ways I can "bridge" this interval, so that I don't break the "7-year continuous" rule for permanent residence?

If you have the funds, enroll in a Putonghua/Cantonese course at CUHK. Better rush, courses start soon afaik. Comes with residency visa, but your spouse - if any - will not get a dependent visa that allows him/her to work.

Thank you, Er2. I have a US passport, and my wife has a Chinese PRC passport. Can we both apply for courses in CUHK under your suggestion to maintain residency visa in HK?

er2 phrased that ambiguously. Your wife would get a Dependant Visa which would maintain her residency, but Dependants on people with Study Visas are the only category of Dependants who are not allowed to work.

If in fact your wife is working currently on her Dependant Visa then see if you can get her switched to an Employment Visa, which means you could then get a Dependant Visa, and everything would be fine.

You should be able to. However, they'll most likely wont accept your wife into the standard Cantonese classes since she already presumably speaks Putonghua, but there might be Canto classes for Chinese speakers. However, you can sponsor her as your dependent, but she will not be able to work (which she wouldn't be allowed to on a study visa anyway).

Thank you, PDLM and er2. We will pursue the student approach for the time being. I just wish HK Immigration can make life easier for us people who genuinely want to stay in HK and have contributed to the HK economy greatly in the past via taxation and skill sets.

Two weeks ago, has applied for renewal of a work visa, they gave me a piece of paper and told to wait. Three days ago, again, recognize when a visa is get ready and they told me that in two or three weeks. My question is: how long should you wait for the extension of a work visa in Hong Kong?
    Thenk`s

2-3 weeks normally