US Citizen applying for HK PIC card

US Citizen applying for HK PIC card

Hello,

I am an American born, US citizen whose parents were born in China. More specifically, dad was born in the mainland and mom was born in HK. They have emigrated to the states in the 50s and are US citizens.

I would like to find out if I am eligible to apply for a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. My mom still has her PIC card and expired Hong Kong Passport.

I hear the rules may have change post the 1997 handover? Any information is extremely appreciated. Thank you!

If you were born in the US before your parents were granted permanent residency there, you will be a Chinese citizen and have HK right of abode.

If not...

Then either your mom or dad had to have been a British subject (more likely your mom since she was born in Hong Kong before 1997), and that could be passed down to you before 1997. If your mom had a BNO or some British passport before, you would have had right of abode in Hong Kong before 1997. And it may have been downgraded to right to land if you had not visited HK every 36 months since 1997.

I have a guide with some info here:
    http://www.geocities.com/icehairball

Thanks Hairball!

I've gone thru your site and I must say you've saved me a lot of time with the information you have posted. It's exactly what I am looking for!

I now have to have my parents/ mom in particular, renew her ID card before I can apply as that will reinstate her HK Resident status.

I look forward to applying and hope I get approved for HK Resident status.

Thank you very much for your insightful advice. Much appreciated!

I don't think it's strictly necessary for her to have an updated ID card, but I suppose it would help.

If you have been living in HK more than 7 years, then you are eligible to apply for a permanent residency. Any question, please send to [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Ada Lai:
    If you have been living in HK more than 7 years, then you are eligible to apply for a permanent residency.
    If you have been living in HK as a legal resident for a continuous period of more than 7 years, to be more precise.

Quite why you would need to email anyone about this when all the information you would require is readily available on the Immigration Department website is unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Quite why you would need to email anyone about this when all the information you would require is readily available on the Immigration Department website is unclear.
    So that the business keep rolling: http://www.innovativehr.com.hk/

Some companies might start doing some un-usual advertising in order to keep them afloat during the crisis.