Gay unions - visa

Closed Thread

Gay unions - visa

Hi all. I am considering t move t HK for work. I would be sponsored by my employer and I should not face major hurdles. However I am 'married' with my same-sex partner. Our civil partnership is legally bindind for immigration purposes here in europe but I know HK would not allow me t sponsor my partner as a dependent. I am desperaty looking into all possible legal alternatives. Eg: could I employ him as a language teacher or stuff like that? Desperately seeking help. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

There's no way you could employ him.

Obviously if he has suitable qualifications then he could try to get a job (as a language teacher or whatever) in his own right for which he could get an Employment Visa.

If he holds a British passport and you are only planning to be in HK for 1-2 years then he might well get away with simple Visitor's visas of 6 months at a time. for 2 or 3 renewals, but obviously this is not guaranteed.

If, by chance, he holds an Irish Australian or New Zealand passport then he could come for one year on a Working Holiday Visa.

Otherwise there have been reports of "civil union" type couples being granted extended visitors visas for the non-working half. This wouldn't allow him to work but it would allow him to stay here legally. It's going to be a slower process and probably requiring more evidence than a simple dependant, bt it might be doable. VisaPro-Prompt & Professional have a "no win, no fee" visa service so you might want to talk to them to see if they would be interested in taking your case on.

Might also be worth looking into if he wants to study out here. If you can afford to feed and clothe a student on your salary (and pay the insane uni fees)

It really sucks that there's not a better way. Good luck.