Permanent residence for child?

Closed Thread

Permanent residence for child?

I'd like to know if, when I get my permanent residence, my child, who was born in HK can also automatically get it as well?

I'm a holder of an Australian passport.

Advice appreciated.

As I understand it, if you mean a child born before you got permanent residence then no, they have to qualify on the same grounds as you - 7 years continuous residence. Once you have permanent residence then any children subsequently born in HK will have permanent residence from birth.

And no one gets it automatically by residence - you have to apply and prove that you meet the criteria.

Last edited by PDLM; 29-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.

If your non-Chinese citizen child was born in Hong Kong, and as long as he/she is under 21, then will get right of abode in Hong Kong whenever you do.

Look at (e) of question 1.
    The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

I guess after 21, he/she will have to qualify on his/her own merit, otherwise will be downgraded to right to land.

Sorry, yes. So, three cases:

1) Born outside HK - needs to reside here 7 years in their own right
    2) Born in HK before either parent has PR - gets PR when either parent does if it occurs before they are 21
    3) Born in HK after one or both parents has PR - gets PR from birth

(Note that "parent" here does not include fathers not married to the mother, regardless of whether they are named on the birth certificate.)