foreigner marrying HK citizen

Closed Thread

foreigner marrying HK citizen

My boyfriend is American, if we get married in HK, will he become a HK resident? Just like if i marry him in US, i can have a green card in 6 months?

Thanks

Ronnie

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You can sponsor his dependent visa which will allow him to work in HK. He can apply to be a permanent resident after living here for seven years.

The wedding doesn't have to be in HK.

does he need to stay in HK all the time? He works in China, he usually stays in China... will he need to come back to HK everyday?

As i know, green card holder will need to return to US once a year otherwise the residency will be taken away... is it the same in HK?

He should residde in Hong Kong but he can NOT be away for not more than 6 months. You can get more info by going to the HK immigration website, you'll get all precise and specific inforamtions there.

When it comes to applying for Permanent Residence, the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate that they have resided continuously in Hong Kong for 7 years. The normal documents to do this are:
    - HK tax returns
    - HK bank accounts
    - HK property leases or mortgages etc
    - HK utility bills
    etc.

Commuting Monday to Friday to China and living in HK at weekends would probably be fine. Visiting HK once every few months would probably not.

Thanks for replying

So if he works in HK, does he need to pay both HK and US taxes?

What if we get divoiced? (gotta be prepared for the worst scenario!!) Can he still stay in HK? Or HK gov will take away his residency?

If he works in China (every working day) and only comes to HK at weekends then he should be paying tax in China. If he works in Hong Kong then yes he should be paying tax in HK. As a US citizen then he has to pay tax there regardless. There are some allowances and agreements that reduce the amount of "double taxation".

If you get divorced before he has been granted Permanent Residency (i.e. before 7 years plus however long it takes for his application) then yes he will lose his Dependant Visa due to marriage to you, and will need to leave HK.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    .. and will need to leave HK.
    Or, in the alternative, qualify for a visa in his own right.

Quote Originally Posted by dronnyk:
    Just like if i marry him in US, i can have a green card in 6 months?
    The waiting period is more like 3 years now...and only if the couple resides in the US. And during this waiting period applicants are "encouraged" not to leave the country. They've also added a few conditional terms to allow INS to revoke alien residence if divorce occurs during the first few years of marriage.