Dependent Visas for NETs?

Dependent Visas for NETs?

Hi guys,

I've been through some of the threads regarding dependent visas but have not been able to find some of the answers that I'm looking for.

My husband will be moving back to HK in August this year and start to look for work there. He is a HK-born citizen but I am not, so I'm assuming I will have to apply for a dependent visa in order to work there. Because of work commitments in the UK, I will not join my husband in HK until November.

Here are my questions:

1) My husband does not have work yet in HK, will he be able to apply a dependent visa for me? Or will simply enough 'money' in the bank be sufficient for this?

2) I have already started looking for jobs as a native-english teacher for kindergartens. Can I start to apply for these without a dependent visa upon assumption that I will be granted one in the near future? Or should I wait until I have been granted one first?

3) Also how long does the whole process of applying for one take?

Many many thanks in advance!

1) The onus is on him (as your sponsor for the Dependant Visa, which you apply for) to show that he can provide accommodation for you and enough money to live "well above the subsistence level". Quite how much that would mean "in the bank" is unclear, but probably several hundred thousand HK$.

2) You can, but whether anyone will seriously consider your application until you have the visa I'm not sure.

3) About 6-8 weeks absolute minimum assuming a simple case and all the required supporting data supplied to ImmD first time. Every iteration where they ask for more data adds 2 weeks or thereabouts.

re
    2. Most kindergartens may not hire you until you have got your dependent visa. They need assurance and proof that you will be getting the visa before they sign you on (even if they give u work for the time being, it is still illegal). you can try looking around, some don't start until Sept so that should give u plenty of time to get your visa sorted.

3. my husband got his around the 1 month mark. provide as much information as possible eg bank account details, your husband's work etc, proof of marriage etc and it should speed up your application. my husband sent in so much he didn't even need to go in for an interview.

Hi guys,

Thank you for the information. How soon can I apply for a dependant visa?

We are not going to HK until August but can I apply for a dependant visa now so that (hopefully) it will be granted in time for August or not long after, in time for when we move to HK?

Also what exact information do we need to provide to the immigration dept? Account details to prove that my husband can support me, marriage certificate, what else?

Many thanks.

Yes, you can apply now for August. The application form is here. The Guidelines with details of all the supporting documents you need here. As a general rule with ImmD, provide them everything they ask - if in doubt provide more, and if you can't provide something they ask for then explain why in a covering letter, don't just ignore the request.