Getting married in HK

Closed Thread

Getting married in HK

Hi, I've posted on here previously about obtaining a HK Dependant VISA, unfortunately however due to my wife-to-be's sporadic employment we will put this plan on hold until she has a more solid foundation for us to apply.

Before this however we need to get married. My friend told me, who has ended up in the same position I need to be (get married, get HK dependant VISA), that when he got married in the UK they opted for the international marriage license which until he told me, I'd never even realised existed. However, I will be getting married in HK and even though initially plan to live in HK for possibly a number of years, will likely eventually go back to the UK, so I will need a marriage certificate that is valid in the UK. Does this same international marriage license apply or is it a different process when marrying in HK?

Also, it is more than likely we will get married in a registration office, and save a wedding until further down the line. Does anybody have any recommendations for registration offices in HK? I've been told doing such things in a solicitors office might be the way to go, however we don't want to get VISAs involved straight away due to financial eligibility, so is this still worthwhile? What sort of time period should be expected in between booking a registration, getting married, and then having everything finalised? Also, will I need to correspond with authorities in the UK at all or is all of that taken care of simply by providing the international marriage license when we eventually go back to the UK?

Sorry if I seem somewhat clueless, hoping somebody can point me to a launch pad so I can get my head around this!

Thanks

Not heard of the international marriage licence. I know that the HK marriage certificate is recognised by the British Consulate and the Philippine Consulate so I assume it is internationally recognised.

A solicitor (civil celebrant) is a much easier option and not linked to getting a visa. The whole process should take a little over 2 weeks.

Ok thanks for the reply. Any idea what sort of costs are involved in this?

Also any recommendations for such solicitors to use?

My (now) husband and I were married by Mr Arthur Au, a solicitor whose office is on Des Voeux Road. There are a couple of steps to the process, but he can guide you through the whole thing, and the cost is quite reasonable.

His office was not the most romantic place, but we're doing a proper wedding this year... :-)

Hope this helps! PM me for his email address is you would like.

You will need to file a notice of intended marriage first, and if no objection is received within 15 days then the marriage can proceed.

The actual marriage must take place within 3 months of this notice of intended marriage.

If you marry at a govt registry office, then you can apply online up to two weeks in advance of your wedding date. There will be a list of Registry Offices to choose from depending on which part of HK you prefer, and time slots will be on a first come first served basis. The govt fees are $305 for the notice, $715 for marriage at registry during normal office hours or $1935 if held on Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

I expect going through a solicitor will probably be more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy:
    You will need to file a notice of intended marriage first, and if no objection is received within 15 days then the marriage can proceed.

The actual marriage must take place within 3 months of this notice of intended marriage.

If you marry at a govt registry office, then you can apply online up to two weeks in advance of your wedding date. There will be a list of Registry Offices to choose from depending on which part of HK you prefer, and time slots will be on a first come first served basis. The govt fees are $305 for the notice, $715 for marriage at registry during normal office hours or $1935 if held on Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

I expect going through a solicitor will probably be more expensive.
    yes the solicitor will charge something like HK$ 3000 but very straightforward and they will handle all the paperwork like giving notice.

wedding.esdlife.com - Appointment Booking for Giving of Marriage Notice, Marriage Registries, Earliest Booking Date Calendar, User Tips, Easy Change of Address, Application for Search of Birth / Death / Marriage Records and Copies of Related Certific

Doing it yourself is very easy, use the above gov website. Give notice, book the place u want to have it done, pay the fee, bada bing ur married in 15 mins. Like a fast food meal. LOL