Lost Home Rtn Permit - Get temp China Visa?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Are you a considered a chinese national? From what I have read on your post, you should not be considered a Chinese national since your parents were settled in the Uk when you were born and thus cannot get the HRP.

But maybe I am wrong. Do you have 3 stars on your HKID card?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Whether you can get the home return permit depends on if you are a Chinese citizen, if you are one, then yes you can get it.

This is a mucky area though, typically countries don't recognize other citizenship if you are one of their citizens. However Canada and China have an agreement saying that if you use a Canadian passport to enter China, you'll be regarded as Canadian. Though I'd have reservations whether China would really recognize this over their own citizens. I don't know if the US and/or UK have a similar agreement with China.

If you are a Chinese citizen and you enter HK using a HKID card then you're entering as a Chinese citizen and wouldn't be able to get consular assistance as you are in China.

If you have never held a home return permit in the past, then it seems like a HKSAR passport is needed to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:

If you have never held a home return permit in the past, then it seems like a HKSAR passport is needed to apply.
    I'd like to get more clarification on that. As of July 2010, is a HKSAR passport required to apply for a China Home Return Permit? I don't have a HKSAR passport, but recently received my HKSAR Permanent ID (right to abode). I am a US citizen residing in the US.

I've been looking, but haven't been able to find detail requirements for the return home permit.
    Last edited by myhamster; 09-07-2010 at 05:12 AM.

myhamster, the details are here:
    http://www.ctshk.com/zhengjian/gangao.htm