canadian passport

Closed Thread

canadian passport

does anyone know anything about renewing canadian passports if we're in HK?

Thanks!!!

China - Hong Kong :: Home :: For Canadians :: Passport Services

If your passport has expired, you may submit an application to have a new passport issued to you. There is no time limit to submit for the new passport. Please follow the instructions on the application form and submit a normal application with all supporting documentation to our office for processing.

More information here:

China - Hong Kong :: Home :: For Canadians :: Passport Services

And the Canadian embassy is located at:
    12th to 14th Floor, One Exchange Square Central
    Hong Kong SAR,
    People's Republic of China

TigerSun is right...there is no renewal.

The one tricky issue is that of a guarantor for your passport - someone who has known you for 2 years and is in an occupational category that is approved - doctor, judge, police, notary public, etc. It is quite a restrictive list. The good news is that they must add their signatures but not for any $$$$. A business partner has been back in HK for just a 1.5 years and is struggling to find anyone who fits as a guarantor and his passport just expired and he wants to travel back to Canada in August and not use his HK passport as he doesn't want to raise eyebrows as to why he 'd not just enter as usual.

If not, you have to go the other route and that means notary public, $$$$ and according to the Passport information, a possible delay in the renewal. Oh, and that form is no longer part of the electronic services provided meaning you have to go to a government office offering consular services like the one posted by Bryan. Since Passport Canada has gone business like they have reduced services and created long line ups when the passport for Canadians travelling to the USA came in and they needed to make their bottom line. I believe the rationale for this form not being online is to avoid fraud.

No need to stress about the guarantor. As of 2007, the rules are much more lax.

Passport Canada: New measures to simplify the passport issuance system
    Passport Canada: Canadians - Guarantor

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    No need to stress about the guarantor. As of 2007, the rules are much more lax.

Passport Canada: New measures to simplify the passport issuance system
    Passport Canada: Canadians - Guarantor
    The rules are lax IF in Canada but not abroad. It is as I said it is for someone here in HK and I quote:

Your guarantor must:

1. Have known you personally for at least two (2) years.
    In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known the applicant (parent or legal guardian) personally for at least two (2) years and have knowledge of the child.
    2. Live within the jurisdiction of the passport issuing office and be accessible for verification.
    3. Be one of the following:
    * Dentist
    * Judge
    * Practising lawyer
    * Magistrate
    * Mayor
    * Medical doctor
    * Notary public
    * Police officer
    * Signing officer of a bank
    4. Be able to confirm your identity

Thanks guys, help to know this info. So that means I wouldn't have to fly back to Canada just to renew the passport and can do it through the HK located embassy.
    But I didn't know we need a guarantor just for "renewal"? Or whatever it's called now? What is it called if it's not renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by creamy338:
    Thanks guys, help to know this info. So that means I wouldn't have to fly back to Canada just to renew the passport and can do it through the HK located embassy.
    But I didn't know we need a guarantor just for "renewal"? Or whatever it's called now? What is it called if it's not renewal?
    A new passport. There is no renewal.

It is the HK Consulate not an embassy here, but yes you can do it here.

Great thanks, got it.

So it seems no matter if my passport expired or not, I just get a new one anyway, right? (Not renewal.) Does it make a difference if it is expired or if I get it 6 months prior to expiry? Thanks.

Technically speaking there is no "renewal" process for Canadian passports, you are always applying for a new one. You can apply whenever you want, no matter how much longer the old one lasts for. Of course the old one would be cancelled though once a new one is issued.

I guess if it's nearing expiry, it's a good idea to get a new one, since obviously you are not in your home country right now.