Questions on HK work visa

Question Questions on HK work visa

I submitted my work visa requirements through my employer around three weeks ago and have not heard any concrete developments on it yet. All requirements that were needed from me were complete as far as I am concerned; I just don't know if my employer complied with theirs. It's actually very frustrating since it takes forever to get anything from them.

Is it OK to check with the Immigration office directly even though it has just been 3 weeks? I also do not have the reference number, nor was I asked to sign anything (contracts) yet. Are contracts part of the work visa requirements? The company is actually a very a big and reputable corporation and HR keeps on saying they did not have any problems with work visas before. The company is overflowing with expats, so I am taking their word for it. It doesn't ease the anxiety of waiting though.

Any advice?

Last edited by alohautopia; 28-07-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Immigration Dept here is usually slow, as any other government depts. Don't worry, if your company has a good reputation and big, there doesn't seem to be any problems. And 3 weeks is actually not long (given usually they give it 4 to 6 weeks).

If you are now in Hong Kong, you can go and check in person. They are very cooperative if you show up polite.

Good luck!

I hope everything goes well too. My real worry is in the contract. Aren't they supposed to require for signed contracts, or can those be submitted on a later date? I'm actually moving from the local unit to a HK unit of my company (it's multinational) and I suppose contracts are not really an issue as it is an internal move and I am a current employee, but I don't want this delay anything as it is.

before you approach the Immd Depart , better get the reference number from your future employer.

Quote Originally Posted by alohautopia:
    I hope everything goes well too. My real worry is in the contract. Aren't they supposed to require for signed contracts, or can those be submitted on a later date? I'm actually moving from the local unit to a HK unit of my company (it's multinational) and I suppose contracts are not really an issue as it is an internal move and I am a current employee, but I don't want this delay anything as it is.
    I would not advise anyone to move countries without a signed contract, even if it is an internal-company move. All too often I see people who change their life entirely because of a few emails, discussions and phone calls, only to have the whole thing cancelled by someone in a senior management position.

Having a signed contract in your hands is very important to you, so you know how much you are being paid, the benefits they will be providing (or not providing), length of the contract, termination clause (very important) and other important employment considerations.

I am surprised that the company has not lodged a signed contract with the visa application, as this would set out your job description, which has the required detail as to why a local person could not do your job.

Thanks Crocodile. I actually emailed my HR about my concerns (quite a poignant letter exhibiting my anxiety about not getting anything from them not even updates, haha!) and they came back to me telling me that everything's being done to expedite the processing. As for the contract, I got the conditions already but they said they were still waiting on some final confirmation from Accounting on the allowances.

I got an email two days ago that my visa has been approved too! Whew. They will be sending it to me in a couple of days.