HKID Born outside Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I just mentioned using your old ID (plus a valid travel document) as a possibility because they can still look up your info in their databases based on the ID card, even if it's invalid.

They didn't cancel/amend my visitor status in my passport when I got granted RTL though, but I don't think it's really a major concern.

Hi All,

This is what I will do the next time I go to Hong Kong:

1) Enter HK as a visitor
    2) Visit ImmD with my Youth ID card and say I need to get my Smart ID. I'll probably be asked as to why I hadn't changed it when I was supposed to. I'll say that in fact I was in school overseas, and am now returning to HK for good. At this time two things can happen:

A) I'm asked for my Youth ID and nothing more is asked of me.
    B) I'm asked for a secondary piece of identification and I must present my passport. Then ImmD will see the "visitor" stamp and ask my a bunch of questions. Do you think I can ask them to look into my records (eg: father and mothers birth certificates, and their HKID numbers etc.) to see how I got my Youth ID in the first place? Or would I need to bring everything with me again?

hi, my parents are both from mainland china, but acquired their hong kong citizenship thru naturalization. i had my id in hong kong. but i was born in the philippines. i'm married to a filipino citizen and i acquired my filipino citizen through marriage. am i considered a hong kong citizen right now

Quote Originally Posted by teddyc:
    Hi All,

This is what I will do the next time I go to Hong Kong:

1) Enter HK as a visitor
    2) Visit ImmD with my Youth ID card and say I need to get my Smart ID. I'll probably be asked as to why I hadn't changed it when I was supposed to. I'll say that in fact I was in school overseas, and am now returning to HK for good. At this time two things can happen:

A) I'm asked for my Youth ID and nothing more is asked of me.
    B) I'm asked for a secondary piece of identification and I must present my passport. Then ImmD will see the "visitor" stamp and ask my a bunch of questions. Do you think I can ask them to look into my records (eg: father and mothers birth certificates, and their HKID numbers etc.) to see how I got my Youth ID in the first place? Or would I need to bring everything with me again?
    Another thing is to write them and ask what you need to do and do this now before you come. Email them.

Yes, good advice. Just enter on your passport and don't be producing anything to the border control people that makes it complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by helen lui:
    hi, my parents are both from mainland china, but acquired their hong kong citizenship thru naturalization. i had my id in hong kong. but i was born in the philippines. i'm married to a filipino citizen and i acquired my filipino citizen through marriage. am i considered a hong kong citizen right now
    Note that there is no such thing as "Hong Kong Citizenship" - it is simply a specific type of Chinese citizenship. Your parents could not "naturalize" as Hong Kong citizens because being born in China they would already be Chinese citizens. When was that? Do you mean that they naturalized as some sort of British national pre-1997? What was their status/citizenship when you were born?

What passport did you have before you got married?

It is not possible to get Filipino citizenship simply by marrying a Filipino (I know, I am married to one) - if you are not a Filipino from birth then you need to live in the Philippines for 10 years before you can naturalise.

We need more details to be sure of your situation, but since you hold a Filipino passport and were not born in Hong Kong then I can be pretty certain that you are not a HK Chinese Citizen. Depending on your parents' status when you were born you may well have the Right of Abode or Right to Land in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Note that there is no such thing as "Hong Kong Citizenship" - it is simply a specific type of Chinese citizenship. Your parents could not "naturalize" as Hong Kong citizens because being born in China they would already be Chinese citizens. When was that? Do you mean that they naturalized as some sort of British national pre-1997? What was their status/citizenship when you were born?

What passport did you have before you got married?

It is not possible to get Filipino citizenship simply by marrying a Filipino (I know, I am married to one) - if you are not a Filipino from birth then you need to live in the Philippines for 10 years before you can naturalise.

We need more details to be sure of your situation, but since you hold a Filipino passport and were not born in Hong Kong then I can be pretty certain that you are not a HK Chinese Citizen. Depending on your parents' status when you were born you may well have the Right of Abode or Right to Land in Hong Kong.
    my parents are naturalized british citizen pre 1997. i'm a holder of british passport and can apply for hksar passport. last 2006 i upgraded my id with the smart ID. i stays in the philippines more than 20 years and married to a filipino citizen and applied for filipino citizenship by marriage.

Who says that you can apply for a HK SAR passport?

If your parents were full British Citizens (not BDTC or BN(O)) at the time of your birth in the Philippines, and you hold a full British Citizen passport (from birth, by descent), and you have subsequently naturalised as a Filipino (you must have done this quite recently since the Philippines has only allowed dual nationality within the last few years) then I don't see how you could be eligible for Chinese Citizenship (required for a HK SAR passport) unless you renounce both your existing citizenships.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:

They didn't cancel/amend my visitor status in my passport when I got granted RTL though, but I don't think it's really a major concern.
    Oh I see. It was just something that I heard they did to prevent confusion, but I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by helen lui:
    A little off-topic..

I didn't know you can get Filipino citizenship through marriage. Permanent residency, yes.

Were you issued a Philippine Passport?

I agree - you can't get Filipino citizenship through marriage. But you can get it after 10 years residence there and helen lui said that she resided there for 20 years.