HK entry for No stars HKPIC...

Closed Thread

HK entry for No stars HKPIC...

Hi guys!

It's been almost a year now since my last post here.

I've been traveling around Asia (except for HK) with the HKSAR Passport and it's been great!

Now I want to go to HK.

Question:

Do I need to show my HKSAR Passport for HK Entry? Can I use the local resident lane, when my HKPIC only have "AZ"

My HKPIC has the following markings:

"Issued Overseas

The holder shall apply for renewal of
    this identity card within 30 days of
    the holder's return to Hong Kong"

Does this mean I have to include a visit to IMMD on my "things to do in HK"?

I know I can ask immigration once I'm at the airport, but I hate surprises. Any one here have experience?

My HK visit will be short....4 to 5 days.

So you have a HKSAR passport and not ***? Weird.

If you are just going to be in HK for a few days, just use your HKSAR passport to enter. I believe you don't really need to have an HKID card if you are not going to be resident there. Perhaps that's what they mean by "return".

Oh and yes you can use the HK resident lane.

Last edited by Hairball; 10-08-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Edit: see this thread for the background that leads to this odd situation...

Anyway, why not visit ImmD and get the non-temporary HKID process started? It will only take an hour or so to do the initial visit I would guess, and then you can authorise someone to pick up the permanent card when it is ready about 2 weeks later and then send it to you.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-08-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:

If you are just going to be in HK for a few days, just use your HKSAR passport to enter. I believe you don't really need to have an HKID card if you are not going to be resident there. Perhaps that's what they mean by "return".

I am surprised at that too. Unless because it's an overseas temporary HKID, not a 'proper' one?

I'd be interested to know if it's still No Stars when the OP gets the card replaced with a permanent one.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Edit: see this thread for the background that leads to this odd situation...

Anyway, why not visit ImmD and get the non-temporary HKID process started? It will only take an hour or so to do the initial visit I would guess, and then you can authorise someone to pick up the permanent card when it is ready about 2 weeks later and then send it to you.
    No problem on the authorizations. I got lots of relatives there.

But, can I get out of HK with my HKSAR Passport and just that piece of paper (without the HKPIC)?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin safety:
    I am surprised at that too. Unless because it's an overseas temporary HKID, not a 'proper' one?

I'd be interested to know if it's still No Stars when the OP gets the card replaced with a permanent one.

The ID says is a "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card". No renewal or change required unless I step in HK.

I'm assuming IMMD will upgrade the card to "***", if I visit them.

I plan to get a Home Return Permit too, but I need to have a "***" first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:

Yeah. I was surprised when I first got it. My niece also got hers...same as mine, passport and ID.

Isn't the HK resident lane...no more passport lane?

yes, but i think you would be crazy not to go to immig and get the proper card, seeing as you are going to be here anyway.