RTL For kids

Closed Thread

RTL For kids

Hello all,

I am just curious for my friends situation. He is a CBC with no HKID. He is eligible for a HKID RTL and will apply so in December. His wife was born in HK and holds a HKID 3* PR. They are both in Canada and both hold Canadian passports. They have two kids, both with Canadian passports as they were born in Canada. Are the kids eligible for any HKID ROA or RTL or anything?

I know personally I was allowed HKID RTL because of my fathers british passport when he came to Canada many, many years ago. And my friend, who is also a CBC is eligible for the same reason. But I am not sure about his kids. Any help would be great, thanks

Were the kids born before or after 1997?

Were their mother (your friend's wife) settled in Canada at the time of their birth?

born after 1997 and she was settled in Canada at their time of birth.

You said all the kids are born on or after July 1, 1997... therefore:

The father's status in Canada is irrelevant in this case as he's not a Chinese citizen. (just based on what you said)

The mother should be a Chinese citizen, but as she was "settled" in Canada (either PR/Canadian citizen), the children will not be Chinese citizens under the PRC Nationality Law, thus they cannot get ROA in Hong Kong by birth. They cannot get RTL because they have never held ROA.

The only way the kids can get ROA is by settling in HK for 7 years. This can be easily done through a dependent visa, however this would likely have to require a family move back to HK.

If their parents are moving to HK and they're still children they'll be dependents won't they? Then once they've been here 7 years they can apply for permanent residency?

Or are you talking about in the future when they're adults?

Ok thanks all