it's another rtl question!

Closed Thread

Exclamation it's another rtl question!

don't hold back on me guys, i know my case is extremely tenuous but i figured it was worth confirming here what i already suspect. i would love to get the permanent right to land in hong kong but mine is not a straightforward situation...

i moved to hong kong in april 1999 with my family after my dad got a job there. i finished high school in hong kong, worked full/part time for about six months in hk then went back to australia in february 2004 to do university study.

i studied full time for 2 1/2 years, then part time until mid next year when i will get my double degree (llb/ba + CELTA). i have gone back to hong kong for two week to two month stretches at least once a year (normally twice), without exception since i arrived back in australia. my dependent visa has been renewed several times, the current one is set to expire 05/2010.

now, the seven year thing. i am aware this is a strict requirement and i am wondering if it is possible to apply for permanent status if the only reason i left hk was to study (as i have read here and there) - is it possible for my full time study to be credited towards the seven years in light of my extensive contacts in hong kong and the fact i am there quite often? my parents are still there and obviously both have permanent id cards.

obviously it's not a big deal if i cannot be awarded permanent status just yet, with my qualifications i am quite sure i can get an employment sponsorship.

sorry if this in incomprehensible, it's late and i'm tired.

Yes - my understanding is that if you are overseas purely for the purposes of study and maintain your Dependant Status in HK and come back here in the holidays then that's OK. You need to email [email protected] to confirm, but I think you are eligible for ROA.

Well, that would be great. We'll see how they respond, I get the feeling I'll need to press my case so to speak. There is next to no info online that relates to my situation but thanks for the ray of hope.

The case you could quote is that of Regina Ip (a HK Citizen for whom studying abroad was deemed not to break a period of ordinary residency, thus enabling her to stand for Legco), but read the last comment to this blog post. I'm not sure what the current status is of the gweilo cases referred to there.

Haha yeah. I'm not quite sure what the average immigration officer's reaction would be to me namedropping Regina Ip to support my case but for some reason I doubt it would be positive.

I'll keep you updated on what they say.