Does Immigration extend visitor/tourist permit to stay more than once

Closed Thread

Does Immigration extend visitor/tourist permit to stay more than once

Hi All,

I was wondering if HK Immigration extends visitor permit to stay more than once.

I was allowed to stay for 14 days initially. When that expired, I went to the Immigration Office in Wan Chai to apply for extension and was allowed to remain for another 14 days - this will expire on Sun 27Sept2009.

My husband, who's living and working in HK, wants me to stay in HK while we wait for my dependant visa (I applied for dependant visa 2 months ago, unfortunately, it looks like waiting time of a week or two is still needed).

My husband suggested to apply for extension of stay the second time. Does immigration usually approve this type of request more than once?

I'm going to immigration today and will check status of my visa application status. If it can't be processed until Friday this week, I'll attempt at another extension.

I hope it works, otherwise, I'd have to fly back to my country or do a Macau trip. Macau trip sounds ideal, however, I'm havong second thoughts since this might affect my visa evaluation or I might be questioned a lot at Immigration at HK/Macau Ferry.

Wish me luck. Any advice would be lovely.

Cheers

PS: When applying for extension, do not use "waiting for visa" as a reason to extend stay.. Got scolded by immigration officer

I guess you got scolded because the "proper" way to do it is to apply for the appropriate visa outside Hong Kong and use that to enter HK as a resident, and not to do it while you're there as a visitor.

By Macau trip do you mean stay there for a few days until your HK visa is approved, then use that to enter HK again? If you are sure it won't take that long then maybe hiding in Macau might be a good idea.

Thanks for your reply Hairball.

You're right about the whole scolding scene. That's exactly what the immigration officer told me.

I'm still wondering if there'd be a chance at all of being approved for another extension or would I just be wasting my time when my request is most likely to be declined anyway.

I've also read recently that there will be festivities within the next few weeks to celebrate 60th anniversary of PRC. I'm sincerely interested to go to carnivals and especially to watch the national fireworks event (been to HK several times but never got to see any fireworks event at all,can you believe that). Is immigration likely to extend my permit to stay if I tell them that aside from wanting to spend time with my husband, another reason for me to want to extend my stay is to join local festivities?

I just want to spend more time with my husband, got married in HK mid of June of this year. Visa is taking too long to process :-((

i would go to macau for a week, then return to hk. at least then you've been out of the country for a longer period of time. either that or book yourself a trip to bangkok. i understand that you want to spend time with hubby, but that will happen soon enough. go to bangkok, enjoy cheap massages, cheap but wonderful food, and then come back after a week. spend a few days between returning from macau and going to bangkok with hubby.

immigration needs to see that you are not trying to stay here "until...." then you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks Carang.
    I could probably go to Macao and stay there for a few days or a week.
    Bangkok seems tempting tho

bangkok is cheap.... could work out to be similar in price to macau.
    i would plan on doing both, probably bangkok first as it is less likely that you will be scrutinised when returning from "overseas"... then after a stay back in hk, head to macau for another week or so.

i know that it doesn't help because hubby wants you with him, but like i said, that will happen soon enough. you really have no idea how long the visa will take and you don't want to piss immigration off during the wait, right?

Thanks for all your comments/suggestions. I'll be happy to share them to anyone who might need it.

UPDATE:
    I went to HK immigration today, not to apply for extension, but to collect my visa (can't contain my excitement!!).
    While I was worrying on how to extend my stay in HK, Immigration rang my husband a few hours ago to inform him that my visa is ready. Upon learning that, I went to Wan Chai immediately and got it in a few minutes. I was told that I have to go out of HK and come back to activate it, so I will go to Macao this Sunday then back to HK.

CONGRATULATIONS! and...welcome!